Good network config?

Mattias Hedman

Jan 19, 2019
I have had long discussions with @tim about my 6.0.9 missconfigured interface file.
Now I have set up a new config and I need to reality check this one, so that is why I turn to this hive of knowledge.

new_network.png

Generally, please post the output of `cat /etc/network/interfaces` instead of a screenshot. Text is smaller and you can be sure that nothing is cut off like Port/Slaves of your bond0. The forum supports code tags. That means you can use the toolbar to insert code or type "[ code] your code [/code]" (without the first space) directly.

Anyways, if your config is good or bad depends a lot on your requirements which you didn't talk about much yet.

Generally, please post the output of `cat /etc/network/interfaces` instead of a screenshot.

My demands are as follows:
Be able to reach the admin gui via 10.20.1.10
An bond of the rest of my NICs to servre as a base for all vm guets.

So this is the config I got now that is working:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp2s0f0
iface enp2s0f0 inet static
    address  10.20.1.10
    netmask  24
    gateway  10.20.1.1
    dns-nameservers 10.20.1.15 10.20.1.1
#Admin GUI

auto enp2s0f1
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

auto enp3s0f0
iface enp3s0f0 inet manual

auto enp3s0f1
iface enp3s0f1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    bond-slaves enp2s0f1 enp3s0f0 enp3s0f1
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-mode balance-alb
#Bond for VM Bridge

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address  10.20.1.40
    netmask  24
    bridge-ports bond0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    bridge_maxwait 0
#VM Bridge

So this is the config I got now that is working:

Great to hear! I wouldn't change it if it fulfills all your requirements. Still, you can read further into topics like different types of bonding if you want.

Reactions: Mattias Hedman
Great to hear! I wouldn't change it if it fulfills all your requirements. Still, you can read further into topics like different types of bonding if you want.
Ofc I can, but I read that link info many times before I decided what bond to use. So changing the bond once more is not going to happen if I am. not forced to do it.

Reactions: Dominic
So a power-outage happened as it does randomly and very seldom this was probably self-made, oh well.
So why am I telling you guys this?
Well, when the proxmox server started again the network was pouched, did not work, nada.

I thought - wait a minute... I had a backup of the original interfaces file... did a quick swap and restarted the server.
Woohoo! Network again... but with no bonds or not using all my NICs.

when the proxmox server started again the network was pouched

When trying around with the network settings you have to restart individual interfaces or the server (for changes in the PVE GUI) to use the new settings. Forgetting this could be a reason why it "works" until the next restart.

When trying around with the network settings you have to restart individual interfaces or the server (for changes in the PVE GUI) to use the new settings. Forgetting this could be a reason why it "works" until the next restart.
I know that, the server has been running for months with a config that was present in the interfaces-file and active in the Proxmox network settings.
I ave restarted the server numerous times during the problems I had earlier when @tim helped me, and when I finally got a working config I restared just to be sure.
So why the server refused to use the working interfaces file is beyond me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!