[SOLVED] Good day

MrReezyZA

Jan 9, 2023
I've just recently installed proxmox on my ancient laptop, installation was bumpy as i couldnt click on anything though i used tab and space bar technique, installation went smoothly up until then, set up my stuff(im brand new to this so i might not have a clue on what im doing) ive watched some youtube vids and tried following along the best i can.

My laptop is currently seated next to me hovering over "welcome to proxmox"
I've entered my https line, but then get thrown with xx.x.x.x:8006 refused to connect. I dont know if there is some port fowarding of some kind i need to be doing, or that my internet providers router even allows such a thing, i dont know, im completely at a loss here. although i havent given up i would still like to know what im doing wrong

i have a feeling it might be the port forwarding that's messing me around, or that i havent configured the proxmox correctly,
any advice on what to do next would be appreciated thank you! :)

Hi,
after a fresh installation, the proxmox WebUI should be reachable via https on port 8006 on the static ip address you defined during setup.
There is no port forwarding, but make sure to be connected to the same subnet as the machine from where you are trying to connect.

You can try to `ping` your machine and/or login to the proxmox machine on the cli and check your network configuration in `/etc/network/interfaces`.

Reactions: zombymumf
Sounds like laptop and the device you are trying to access it with are in the same LAN? Then this has nothing to do with your IPS or any port-forwarding. If that is the case make sure to use an IP, when installing PVE on that laptop, that is part of the same subnet as your client you are trying to access it with. When for exampe your client is using 192.168.0.100/24 and your PVE laptop is using the default 192.168.100.2/24 you won't be able to create any connection, until you try to access it with a client that also got a IP in that 192.168.100.0/24 subnet.

Sounds like laptop and the device you are trying to access it with are in the same LAN? Then this has nothing to do with your IPS or any port-forwarding. If that is the case make sure to use an IP, when installing PVE on that laptop, that is part of the same subnet as your client you are trying to access it with. When for exampe your client is using 192.168.0.100/24 and your PVE laptop is using the default 192.168.100.2/24 you won't be able to create any connection, until you try to access it with a client that also got a IP in that 192.168.100.0/24 subnet.
must both of my devices be connected via lan? currently i just have my laptop connected via the lan cable, so would i need another one to connect via my pc? also thank you guys for quick replies!

Wifi will also work as long as the same router is routing between LAN and wifi. but for example using a smartphone/tablet with mobile internet won't work. Both have to be part of the same local subnet.

1673264165869.png
i managed to get it work somehow, now its asking for username, i dont remember setting up a username though only a password

Your admin is "root" like with any other linux.
And realm would be PAM.

Last edited:
Your admin is "root" like with any other linux.
And realm would be PAM.
thank you so much, ill give a shout if i run into any problems, im just reinstalling it again with the same values and stuff then going to be putting the password in

so yeah! i think ive done everything and everything is working great! thanks for your help guys and have a good day

Hi,
after a fresh installation, the proxmox WebUI should be reachable via https on port 8006 on the static ip address you defined during setup.
There is no port forwarding, but make sure to be connected to the same subnet as the machine from where you are trying to connect.

You can try to `ping` your machine and/or login to the proxmox machine on the cli and check your network configuration in `/etc/network/interfaces`.
Just for any newbies like me, I had the same problem but I was trying to connect unencrypted. As soon as I change to 'https:/xxxx' it worked. Thanks for the answer!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!