GlusterFS packages

Alessandro 123

May 22, 2016
Should be upgraded, as 3.5 is end-of-life.
We are at 3.8 and in next few weeks the 3.9 should be released

GlusterFS packages are not provided by Proxmox, but by Debian. If you want newer packages, there are ones for 3.8.3 in jessie-backports.

so, when enabling gluster from the web interface, proxmox download gluster packages automatically?

Because in my test machine I've seen gluster 3.5 already shipped with proxmox

You should remove it or update it as it's end of life and doesn't support sharding that for VM workload is a must

so, when enabling gluster from the web interface, proxmox download gluster packages automatically?

Because in my test machine I've seen gluster 3.5 already shipped with proxmox

You should remove it or update it as it's end of life and doesn't support sharding that for VM workload is a must

pve-qemu-kvm depends on gluster >= 3.5 , but gluster is provided by the Debian repositories (3.5 in regular jessie, 3.8 in jessie-backports). there is nothing for us to remove, unless you want us to drop gluster support in general..

Now it's clear
Can't you use the backport for gluster?

This is one of the case where the latest version is absolutely a must

3.5 doesn't work with servers on 3.8 and 3.8 has support for sharding that is a HUGE increase in healing time with almost no I/O freeze.

Currently I've installed gluster client from the official gluster repository removing the one provided in proxmox

Reactions: vkhera
Backports is not enabled by default (neither on PVE, nor on stock Debian Jessie) - so changing the dependency is not really an option. As long as there are easily installable/upgradable, compatible backports in jessie-backports it's just extra work for us to manage our own backport/packaging. There is also - as you mentioned - the upstream repository provided by the gluster people themselves.

I'll add a pointer to the repositories providing newer gluster-* packages to our documentation.

That's ok but then you should remove gluster packages from proxmox forcing users to use the updated version

If you provide an old package as default some users could try to build a gluster cluster with an end of life and unsupported version. This is no good and could lead to issues, many fixes was made from 3.5 to 3.8 (and the upcoming 3.9). These are not patch-release.....

Its like distributing Lenny when Jessie is available....

So, my suggestion is to update them or remove from default.

But why don't you publish the updated version in pve-no-subscription/enterprise repo?

That's ok but then you should remove gluster packages from proxmox forcing users to use the updated version

that's not possible, as we cannot depend on non-default repositories

If you provide an old package as default some users could try to build a gluster cluster with an end of life and unsupported version. This is no good and could lead to issues, many fixes was made from 3.5 to 3.8 (and the upcoming 3.9). These are not patch-release.....

we don't provide any package here, Debian does. if you want a newer version of gluster, you can add additional repositories and get those newer versions - it's literally 2 or 3 commands, depending on whether you use backports or the upstream repository.

Its like distributing Lenny when Jessie is available....

it's more like distributing jessie when jessie is available ;)

So, my suggestion is to update them or remove from default.

But why don't you publish the updated version in pve-no-subscription/enterprise repo?

Because it is a lot of extra maintenance work for us for extremely little gain. Like I said, I will add a note to the documentation, but there is nothing we could do short of maintaining our own packages, which makes no sense when there already are perfectly good packages in existing repositories. We only do that for the ZFS and Sheepdog packages because there are/were no such repositories, and we don't do it for Ceph were there are external ones that we use.

Ok i see the point
Mine was just a suggestion because gluster packages are installed by default in proxmox

Don't install EOL packages as default. If someone, like me, wants to use gluster, should manually install the proper package from the backports or from the official gluster repository.

Having an EOL package preinstalled lead to confusion and, in this specific case, to troubles and slow performances

Hmmm.....I just found I am the poor guy who installed an EOL gluster 3.5 but only found that after pushed the cluster into production........

Now I face to an huge risk to upgrade gluster above 3.8+ for my cluster and has no SOP can follow.....

Where is the upgrade docs for pve 4.4?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!