Gluster volume conversion

Leo David

Apr 25, 2017
Hi Everyone,
Although the question has more to do with gluster itself, I took my chance and wrote it down...
I have started with one storage server that exposes a couple of volumes, each being configured as distributed single bricks volumes.
ie: ssd volume - one brick (distributed ), sata - one brick ( distributed ).
Now, I am in the situation that I need to join another two servers to the cluster, and have the volumes replica 3, while keeping all the data intact. All serveres have identical hw configuration.
Other saying, I need to convert ssd volume to replica 3, and rebalance it accross all 3 servers.
Ive searched across internet, but could't find a way to accomplish that..
Any thoughts or recomandations ?
Thank you very much !

Leo

Bonjour

I think it's something like that

gluster volume add-brick test-volume replica 2 server2:/location2

and then

gluster volume add-brick test-volume replica 3 server3:/location3

perhaps this works too :

gluster volume add-brick test-volume replica 3 server2:/location2 server3:/location3

and then you rebalance the volume, but with replica 3 a i think it does it itself when you add the bricks because all the files are replicate.

you can create a test volume and test this.

i use this method when a hardrive failed for a brick.

reduce the replica from 2 to 1 for example, and the readd the new brick with replica 1 to 2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!