General High Availability Question

SteveAllen

Jun 20, 2011
Hi,

I have been tasked with looking into providing high availability/redundancy to our servers.

I am very new to Proxmox and I have a few general questions.

1st, If I have 2 servers both with Proxmox installed, would I be able to set them up so if one server blows up all my VMs will still be up and running?
2nd, If I buy a new server could I simply add it to the "cluster" and this will provide a 3rd server in case the other 2 blow up?

Kind Regards,

Steve

I would be very interested in any response to this thread. Can some one please advise if this is available in 1.8 or if it is something that a 2.0 release will have as standard features.

I have read several of the threads regarding HA and data replication. My understanding would be for HA to be working effectively you need to have the VM's on shared storage (such as Fibre Channel or SAN ) and have some sort of heartbeat monitoring set up between the two machines. TRUE 100% uptime wouldn't be available as if a machine suddenly shut down there would be no chance of migrating the in-memory portion of the VM however the storage could be quickly brought up on another PVE and would be back to "As close as possible" to the point where the host went offline.

Please could someone correct me if i am wrong in this understanding. I am looking at setting up 2 hosts myself with a form of shared storage at some point in the next few weeks and would like the set it up correctly from the start.

I am still very interested in a response to this thread. We are hoping to implement Promox in the near future.

1st, If I have 2 servers both with Proxmox installed, would I be able to set them up so if one server blows up all my VMs will still be up and running?
2nd, If I buy a new server could I simply add it to the "cluster" and this will provide a 3rd server in case the other 2 blow up?

If You use shared storage of any kind, then You can restart virtual machines from failed host on another server, all You need to do is to backup /etc/qemu-server directory which contains virtual machine configs. There is not HA in proxmox that will do it automatically.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!