Full backup

iwik

Oct 7, 2021
Hi,
just setup PBS and have this question. First backup is always full and any next run is just incremental backup. Is some way possible to have (forced?) full backup on some term? For example once a month or week?
I read somewhere when vm is powered off dirty bitmap can't be used and full backup is done, but looking for better solution.

Hi,

just setup PBS and have this question. First backup is always full and any next run is just incremental backup. Is some way possible to have (forced?) full backup on some term? For example once a month or week?
with PBS every backup is a full backup, the index is not a diff to the previous backup but contains all relevant information.

We can use the Content Addressable Storage to optimize the whole thing and only incrementally sent new/changed chunks to the Server.

I read somewhere when vm is powered off dirty bitmap can't be used and full backup is done, but looking for better solution.
No, that's not completely true, the resulting backup is always full independent of the dirty-bitmap usage. We just can compute the changes way faster with a dirty bitmap while we actually need to read the whole disk without it, i.e., when the VM is stopped.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!