FRR OpenFabric creating a loop (?) in full mesh Ceph setup after reconnecting the interface

witold.cebularz

Oct 3, 2024
Hello,
I have 4 Proxmox nodes with 2x10G interfaces. I am testing out a configuration without a switch. I have followed the tutorial in the https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Full_Mesh_Network_for_Ceph_Server

The only difference between my setup and the setup in the tutorial is the addition of the 4th node. It works really well... until I unplug one of the interfaces and plug it back in. If I do, the network for Ceph starts going crazy (the entire meshed network stops working):
  • pings do correctly go through from each node to every other node
  • the Ceph config panel in Proxmox does work (most of the time, sometimes it takes a long time to load)
  • The Ceph storage immidiately stops working, not accepting any reads or writes, the disk usage in VMs jumps up to 100%
I have noticed that if I wait for max-lsp-lifetime and then plug it in, it connects up correctly, without any interruption. Every single time.

A few things I have noticed:
  • The routes/neighbors/topology in vtysh show up correctly, even if the network is going crazy
  • If I don't wait, replug and look at show openfabric neighbors in vtysh it is immidiately Up, but when I wait though max-lsp-lifetime and then replug the interface, it's in Initializing state for approx. 2s
  • If I unplug the interface and begin to shuffle the connections around, it all gets connected almost instantly, but when I plug the last one in it stops working again.
The setup looks like this (since I have only 2 interfaces/node):
  1. prox01 connected to prox03 and prox04
  2. prox02 connected to prox03 and prox04
And vice-versa. And without unplugging anything it works perfectly and stable.

My config is identical to the one in the Proxmox Wiki article, also I tried tweaking all of the timings or leaving them at defaults (traditional and datacenter).
Does anyone know what the issue may be?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!