[SOLVED] fresh Ubuntu template 20.04 LXC - too many levels of symbolic links

rakali

Jan 2, 2020
Hi!

I just started a new container with ubuntu template 20.04

My typical practice is to apt update and apt upgrade. This causes an error is the package libpam-runtime, saying it has too many levels of symbolic links. Specifically unable to open '/usr/share/man/man7/PAM.7.gz.dpkg-new': Too many levels of symbolic links

This was filed as a bug related to case insensitive file systems, specifically linux on windows, here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/1786821

Is this a problem with my configuration? I haven't seen this before...

My lxc storage is on a zvol. Nothing unusual as far as I know...

The only change I have made recently is to shift to using pfsense on proxmox as my router.

What information can I provide to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Other weird apt behaviour.

Code:
Preparing to unpack .../linux-libc-dev_5.4.0-94.106_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-libc-dev:amd64 (5.4.0-94.106) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-libc-dev_5.4.0-94.106_amd64.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/usr/include/linux/netfilter/xt_connmark.h.dpkg-new': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-libc-dev_5.4.0-94.106_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Last edited:
hi,

I just started a new container with ubuntu template 20.04

My typical practice is to apt update and apt upgrade. This causes an error is the package libpam-runtime, saying it has too many levels of symbolic links. Specifically unable to open '/usr/share/man/man7/PAM.7.gz.dpkg-new': Too many levels of symbolic links
can't reproduce the problem here with our template.

This was filed as a bug related to case insensitive file systems, specifically linux on windows, here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pam/+bug/1786821
but are you using linux on windows? why would it be related?

My lxc storage is on a zvol. Nothing unusual as far as I know...
should be fine...

could you please post:
* pveversion -v
* cat /etc/pve/lxc/CTID.conf (CTID is your container)

It was the case sensitivity thing, but for my zvol. I usually put them elsewhere, and decided to put it the same place as my VM, which happened to be case insensitive, and it inherited that flag!

It does raise the question, if it possible for proxmox to specify case-sensitive volume when creating a new container?

Last edited:
interesting, thanks for sharing the solution!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!