Fresh install hangs on loading initial ramdisk.

focaazul

Jan 5, 2023
Fresh install hangs on loading initial ramdisk.

Hello everyone.
I am trying to install Proxmox 7.3.1 it is a new computer, Intel i7, Asus B460M-A motherboard, with 32G Ram, HD 1T.
When trying to install I see that the equipment literally hangs after " Loading initial ramdisk" appears on the screen, to the point that the NUM LOCK or CAP LOCK keyboard lights do not respond, the keyboard don´t respond after " Loading initial ramdisk" .
I thought that the downloaded ISO image might be corrupted, but it's not, the sha256sum of the ISO matches the one indicated on the Proxmox official site. I tried generating a couple of times from Linux with dd command the image on the Pen Drive but the same error persists.
I tried Install on other older machines I have, to see if it was some new hardware problem that was not supported, but the same thing happens on older machines, it always hangs on the same instance :loading initial ramdisk.
I also tried Proxmox versions 7.2 and 6.4, the same error occurs.
I downloaded and prepared a pen drive with Debian 11.6 and tried to install it on the new computer and it installs without problems, so I assume it's not a Hardware issue, since proxmox is based on Debian.
I saw in the forums that putting some arguments to the Kernel in the Boot, like removing quiet and putting nomodeset (pressing e and then ctrl+x to take the parameters), it worked for some users, in my case there were no changes, it keeps hanging .
I also tried in the three versions 7.3, 7.2 and 6.4 to enter with the debug mode and/or putting arguments (nomodeset, etc) but nothing changes, it keeps hanging.
I installed Proxmox a few years ago, without problems, and to this day it works perfectly, but in this case I tried everything I found on the Internet, but nothing changes.
I also modified some Secure Boot options in the BIOS, just in case... but the problem continues. I am a Linux user and as an alternative I am left to install Debian and then see Install Proxmox as indicated in: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye but beyond that I am left with the thorn of why hangs on loading initial ramdisk.
Well, excuse my english, it's not my first language.
Greetings and thanks in advance.
Regards.

Ok folks, I found the problem and share it.
It has NOTHING to do with Proxmox, the point was that the new USB pen drive I bought seems to have some bits of failure in storage.
With any form of image generation it NEVER gave me errors. I only noticed when doing sha256sum on the /dev/sdx and there I noticed that the hash was not the same as the ISO. I hope it helps.
Proxmox it´s instaled and running ok.
Regards.

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!