Fresh install, can't for the life of me login into web interface - HELP

vanDivX

Jun 24, 2010
As per title, I am very pressed for time before I fly away, have last two hours to fix it. New install of ProxmoxVE 1.7, loging https://192.168.1.184 poped login page but when I enter root/pass it can't load anything. Install is straightforward, Dell server T310 is brand new, didn't do anything except login at console and when I couldn't get access to web interface, I restarted twice with shutdown -r now but that didn't help.

I tried putty ssh but it returns fatal error: access not permitted or something like that.

What gives?? Am I screwed and I won't be able to remotely start using my proxmox install on my new Dell T310 server? I noticed back on forum something about apache not starting, I mean #$%&*, can somebody tell me what I need to type at the console (where I can login just fine) to start what needs to run so I can loging via web interface?

My linux knowledge at the command line is very limited, I need the line which I would type at prompt to start whatever needs to start. I feel like swearing at whoever is responsible for this goofup. Its supposed to be plain vanila and it %^&* me up like this.

I read this thread but have no idea how to restart some service or what they talk about.
http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-3038.html

I am very much pressed for time, if I can't solve this in one or two hours, I will have to wait till I return again in May.
HELP!!

EDit: I restarted pvedaemon as per that thread (it said at cli it restarted) but still no luck, don't even get login interface from proxmox... am I screwed or what??

How do you restart Apache, I don't know path!! pls help

Last edited:
As per title, I am very pressed for time before I fly away, have last two hours to fix it. New install of ProxmoxVE 1.7, loging https://192.168.1.184 poped login page but when I enter root/pass it can't load anything. Install is straightforward, Dell server T310 is brand new, didn't do anything except login at console and when I couldn't get access to web interface, I restarted twice with shutdown -r now but that didn't help.

I tried putty ssh but it returns fatal error: access not permitted or something like that.

What gives?? Am I screwed and I won't be able to remotely start using my proxmox install on my new Dell T310 server? I noticed back on forum something about apache not starting, I mean #$%&*, can somebody tell me what I need to type at the console (where I can login just fine) to start what needs to run so I can loging via web interface?

My linux knowledge at the command line is very limited, I need the line which I would type at prompt to start whatever needs to start. I feel like swearing at whoever is responsible for this goofup. Its supposed to be plain vanila and it %^&* me up like this.

I read this thread but have no idea how to restart some service or what they talk about.
http://forum.proxmox.com/archive/index.php/t-3038.html

I am very much pressed for time, if I can't solve this in one or two hours, I will have to wait till I return again in May.
HELP!!

EDit: I restarted pvedaemon as per that thread (it said at cli it restarted) but still no luck, don't even get login interface from proxmox... am I screwed or what??

How do you restart Apache, I don't know path!! pls help
Hi,
can you login on the proxmox-console?
Or, how do you restarted services? Are there special characters in your password?

If this is an new install, you don't have any additional storage defined?

Udo

Last edited:
at console I login just fine as root pass but then from another machine on LAN the connection is refused from IE or Firefox

I just reinstalled and again no luck, I don't even get proxmox login page in browser as I did before (when it didn't load any page after I put in root and my pass - pass is just letters numbers, some capitals, I log in at console OK), the second install went through fine as far as I can tell. gave static IP, left DNS at 'local' on router 192.168.1.1 (before I set it to google dns 8.8.8.8)

previously I did restart at console that pvedaemon and it said it restarted it, now with second install I let the system sit at login and just made sure I got the ip right and went to another machine on LAN and it won't go anywhere

If I put ip 192.168.1.184 to putty set to ssh on port22 it says connection refused and won't show loging prompt, just shows the black window and pops up Fatal error notice saying about connection refused. I can only get in at console but soon I have to go and fly away tomorrow, this is disgrace really, seemed so easy, every bozo out there just tells how after install you log in from a browser... it won't work for me.

Last edited:
Hi,
if you login on the console and then type the password, do you see wrong characters? Perhaps wrong keyboard-layout?!

About double used IP: if you turn off the proxmoxhost, a ping to the IP gives no result?

Udo

IP in use, not hundred percent sure, how do I change IP now

Looks like you put your finger on it - I can ping the ip with promox off line, now I have to change IP

Dell server has this bezel on front, can I change ip from there?

Last edited:
Hi,
login in console
Code:
cd /etc/network/
nano interfaces
normaly i use vi but nano is better for you i think.
change the IP in the vmbr0 section.
save the file and /etc/init.d/networking restart.
If ssh to the host work, do a reboot.

Udo

Thanks a million, it works now, I have to run, the brother with car is waiting to take me away to fly tomorrow, now I can do everything else from remote access to this PC on the same LAN as Proxmox. Thank you again, you made my day. :D

For the life of me I can't figure out now what I have on my LAN with that IP, house is not that big but I got some 4 or five devices, some IP phones, hava for streaming, satbox with web access... you know how it goes and in a hurry I can't figure which one has this IP...

Now from abroad, I connected to a PC on LAN and from there I was exploring the Proxmox interface.
The server has 2 ethernet ports on motherboard and I added couple more (Intel dual port card). In web interface I had eth1, eth2, eth3, vmbr0 and this last one was active and with IP and that is of course the one that has ethernet cable connected, the other three ports are emtpy.

Now I wanted to check which one of those eth1-3 belong to the new card and mainly I wanted to check if the card would be detected, I could tell by its MAC code (which I have noted previously and have it on record) or perhaps it would even say the card make/model once these eth1-3 were given IP and activated.

I configured eth1 with 192.168.1.101, eth2 with .102 and eth3 with .103 IPs and clicked on the Rebot link that showed up above in that section upon saving those changes.

Noe the server is gone, I can't connect to it, probably it is hanging at some starting point, maybe it is hung up trying to start those three ports that are now supposed to be active but which do not have any cables connected to them and it waits for them forever? Could it be so dumb?

I waited long enough for disk check or failed detection of something, I suppose I lost access to the server for good now. Can't ssh to it or anything. Only hope would be to wait till some relative will visit the place and I guide them to do something but that can be something uncomplicated they could do, like press the start button on the server long enough to force shutdown and then start it again...

What do you experts think, did I do something wrong with activating those eth connections? Perhaps it didn't have the card (properly) installed (drivers missing) and now when activated it got hung on that? But that was precisely what I wanted to find out - if the new Intel card would be recognized and installed by Proxmox, in case I couldn't make it go I would have to start looking for some other model.
The one I bought is Intel Dual Port Gigabit ET model which is fairly new and the drivers for it may not be integrated into Proxmox installation.

http://www.intel.com/Products/Server/Adapters/Gb-ET-Dual-Port/Gb-ET-Dual-Port-overview.htm

Perhaps better choice would have been older PT model? I wanted to have minimum three ports on server in order to be able to install router VM on it which needs two physical ports for itself - one for modem connection and the other for LAN.

Last edited:
Thanks for the commands, they will surely come handy - next time that is.

I suppose then I shouldn't have activated the interfaces before making sure the drivers are loaded. Do you think Proxmox will start if somebody on site would do hard reset? Or does it mean reinstall will be needed? I don't think I can get somebody to trigger verbose startup and confirm (or not in the case of the eths) all lines except the ones that hung the start procedure up.

Thanks for the commands, they will surely come handy - next time that is.

I suppose then I shouldn't have activated the interfaces before making sure the drivers are loaded. Do you think Proxmox will start if somebody on site would do hard reset? Or does it mean reinstall will be needed? I don't think I can get somebody to trigger verbose startup and confirm (or not in the case of the eths) all lines except the ones that hung the start procedure up.
Hi,
normaly this should work - if only on nic is active, the configuration of the others are mostly equal...
One possibility is, that the nic-numbering has changed and vmbr0 are now connected with an unused nic (udev can renames nics).
Let one people onsite do following:
Code:
cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
if your active nic now eth3 (or whatever), change the 70-persistent-net.rules or /etc/network/interfaces

Udo

That would be easy solution then if as you say the nic port might be changed....

I suppose I could simply guide my brother this coming Saturday to replug the ethernet wire into the other ports in turn while I would try if I can get in via web interface.

But that would only work if the IP (which I set static) was kept the same on the new NIC/port - I suppose it should be the case. Also he should be able to look at console and tell if the server booted to login line or if it got stuck somewhere along the way. If it booted all the way to login then that surely means what you say - that the NIC/port was changed and re-pluging should work.

However I strongly suspect it failed to boot all the way because I cannot SSH in, Putty times out when I try. Or else Proxmox halted during boot with some warning about switched NIC interface (which I doubt), more likely it changed vmbr0 to the new NIC which doesn't have drivers installed and it got stuck on it during boot. . If that is the case then I guess it would require to switch to verbose startup which I think allows one to skip steps during startup - like skipping the new NIC - to allow Proxmox to boot and then at console change vmbr0 back to server onboard NIC port... a kind of steep request on my brother, although he is otherwise quite handy with computers.

Anyway thanks for storming it over, it gives me at least ideas to think about. Worst case is I would tell him to shut the server down and I can live till May without it. I just thought I would start experimenting with it via remote connection.

----------------

Edit: server is shut down, there was some note about UEFI, likely that BIOS setting needs something done. Startup screen video comes on too late and when it does it flashes by way too fast, brother failed to figure out which F key gives the booting choice (I think now it is F12 for Dell T310 but I found out too late).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!