FreeNAS 64bit hags on boot

D

denis_d

FreeNAS 64bit hangs on boot

FreeNAS 8.2.0 x64 and FreeNAS 8.3.1 x64 hangs on boot.
32 bit version run without problem.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: FreeNAS 64bit hangs on boot

PFsense x64 distro hangs on boot too.
Looks like problem with all x64 FreeBSD guests.

Last edited by a moderator:

It seems that Proxmox developers can't solve this problem, they don't give a convincing answer, or they only help those who pay subscription? Only see post 2 years old and still unanswered and others say: "use the 32-bit version" That's no solution!

It seems that Proxmox developers can't solve this problem, they don't give a convincing answer, or they only help those who pay subscription?
That is not true. I am a paid subscriber. But i do not get any special treatment than rest of the community.

Last time we had discussion about this i believe it was the FreeBSD thats not compatible. Not the other way around. I too have this problem. But using qemu64 seems to work.

That is not true. I am a paid subscriber. But i do not get any special treatment than rest of the community.

Last time we had discussion about this i believe it was the FreeBSD thats not compatible. Not the other way around. I too have this problem. But using qemu64 seems to work.

Hi, I have detected one bug, at least with opteron host (61XX and 63XX). (but it's works fine with host xeon E5500)

That don't work with kvm64 or host guest cpu model because cpu model emulatate an amd vendor ...and it's working fine with qemu64 because is emulate an intel vendor.
workaround:

-cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel
-cpu kvm64,vendor=GenuineIntel

symmcom, what is your host cpu ?

In my proxmox 3.1 (default instalation / ISO from Proxmox website) only boot with KVM Hardware Virtualization in off, 32-bit ISOs boot without problems, my CPU is Xeon E3-1240 V2 in Dell PowerEdge R210 II and VT is enable in BIOS.

p.d: sorry
symmcom, I only asking, I have no way to pay a subscription :(

Hi all, I just installed Proxmox VE 3.1 on a Gigabyte GA-G31M motherboard with a Core2Duo E6320 and 2Gb of RAM, then I installed a VM with pfSense 2.1 64-bit and everything works perfectly.
Tested, Dell PowerEdge R210 II with E3-1240.V2 and Proxmox VE 3.1 has problems with installing pfSense 2.1 64-bit.
The BIOS version is old, I'll try to update tomorrow and then comment, if anyone know this problem, please comment!
Regards,
Asem

Hi fellow sufferers! I believe we should join forces. As asemyc2013 pointed out using 32bit FreeBSD is no solution. This issue effectivly renders proxmox unusable for users with recent Intel-based hardware (I believe this an issue on all Haswell setups) and the need to run 64bit FreeBSD based VMs. This lenghty thread with 38 replies started mid-2013 should be proof enough that devs should look into this issue.

I have freebsd 9 x64 running with no tweaks, so I'm not sure what the limiting item is. I suppose that everyone is aware that freenas themselves recommend against running it as a VM? It's designed to be bare metal. The freenas forums are filled with tales of people who ran it as a vm and lost their pools, so tread carefully and make lots of backups!

I have freebsd 9 x64 running with no tweaks, so I'm not sure what the limiting item is. I suppose that everyone is aware that freenas themselves recommend against running it as a VM? It's designed to be bare metal. The freenas forums are filled with tales of people who ran it as a vm and lost their pools, so tread carefully and make lots of backups!

Hi everybody,

a bug has been detected in kvm (kernel part) recently, at least with amd processor.

Seem that it's related to +xsave flag (supported in last opterons processor), not passed correctly to guest

a recent patch is available here:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/322965/

(I'll try to apply it on 3.10 kernel this week).

I don't have last generation intel processor to test, but maybe can you test

args: -cpu qemu64,-xsave

(or also with +xsave)

(not sure it'll help)

Last edited:

It seems that Proxmox developers can't solve this problem, they don't give a convincing answer, or they only help those who pay subscription? Only see post 2 years old and still unanswered and others say: "use the 32-bit version" That's no solution!

which host kernel do you use ? (2.6.32 or 3.10 ?)

I have now installed pve kernel 3.10 on a machine with an Intel-Core-i5-4570 CPU (Haswell) and can report success. FreeNAS 9.2.1.1 booting just fine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!