FreeBSD Problems

bert64

Aug 14, 2008
I have been using Proxmox VE to host several instances of FreeBSD and encountered a number of issues...

When using SCSI disks in the kvm image, after installing FreeBSD 6.3 or 7.0 the system fails to boot, the bootloader cannot find the boot disk

When using IDE disks in the kvm image, after the installer has rebooted it cannot find the IDE controller. Stopping and restarting the image makes it boot correctly.

When using IDE disks, after BSD has been running for a while (usually 2-3 days depending on usage) the system starts spewing DMA errors to the console and will hang after a while.

I have been using Proxmox VE to host several instances of FreeBSD and encountered a number of issues...

When using SCSI disks in the kvm image, after installing FreeBSD 6.3 or 7.0 the system fails to boot, the bootloader cannot find the boot disk

When using IDE disks in the kvm image, after the installer has rebooted it cannot find the IDE controller. Stopping and restarting the image makes it boot correctly.

When using IDE disks, after BSD has been running for a while (usually 2-3 days depending on usage) the system starts spewing DMA errors to the console and will hang after a while.

hi,
do you use 32-bit or 64-bit freebsd? I will try to reproduce the issue.

hi,
do you use 32-bit or 64-bit freebsd? I will try to reproduce the issue.

It is 32bit, installing from the default 7.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso

Server is an Intel QX6600 quad core running the kvm-intel module with 8gb ram, i will test the 64bit bsd aswell and see if the same issues occur.

I am having the same issue on 32-bit FreeBSD 6.2.

Every time the system is rebooted the bootloader can't find the disk. Completely powering off the VM (rather than a simple reboot) then turning it back on works.

Perhaps a bug in KVM's BIOS implementation?

I am not experiencing the DMA problem with IDE disks after long-term use on FreeBSD 6.2. I've had servers running for weeks with no issues-- unless I reboot.

About the DMA issue: I have disabled ACPI on my FreeBSD servers. It may be whatever DMA issue exists does not show itself with ACPI disabled?

I am having the same issue on 32-bit FreeBSD 6.2.

Every time the system is rebooted the bootloader can't find the disk. Completely powering off the VM (rather than a simple reboot) then turning it back on works.

Perhaps a bug in KVM's BIOS implementation?

could be, can you report this to the KVM mailing list?
thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!