[SOLVED] Free 4.x available?

cosmos

Apr 1, 2013
Hello all,

been using PVE on my government agency. The budget is so tight, that we are using plain hardware in order to install PVE.

Thing is, we have been using this great piece of software for free (ie without any subscription). Today, I had to create a new PVE host. So, I was wondering whether:
1) I can install 4.1 without a subscription, like I did with 3.x and if so how?
2) if there are any reasons to prefer 3.4 to 4.x (old hardware for example)?

Thanks in advance for any info provided.

Hi cosmos,

why should you not be able to install Proxmox VE 4.1 from ISO like you did with version 3.4? After installation you only have to activate the no-subscription repository and disable the enterprise repo. That should do it.

1) I can install 4.1 without a subscription, like I did with 3.x and if so how?
Just follow the wiki! Do a bare metal installation using the Proxmox ISO, then disable the pve-enterprise repositories and add the pve-nosubscription ones. Then if you want to feel a warm sensation through your body, do a donation to Proxmox team (whatever amout is confortable for you) to help keep the development of this free as in Freedom (that is the most important part) product :)

As others have said, yes, you can do that.

however, I would recommend at the very least paying for the community sub. It's cost is quite low, and helps support the development of this great product. I also work in Government, and understand how there is never any money. As such, we pay out of pocket for this because it's been that worthwhile for us.

Thank you for all your comments, I'd be more than happy to install 4.1 then :)

@1nerdyguy: you feel me. I also buy capacitors etc from my own pocket to repair from PSUs to motherboards. This is not drama hour though. I understand that a project like this has to be paid. I hope that my own contributions to FOSS projects make up for this paid support in this case :)

Consider thread solved fellas!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!