Force transfer backups over 10GbE, not 1GbE?

helloha

Sep 19, 2021
So I have proxmox installed and the web GUI runs on the 1GbE port of the motherboard.

I have a 10Gbe card installed as well.

I have a Freenas server for backups with a 10Gbe card.

Both Proxmox box and the Freenas server are both connected via a unifi 10Gbe switch.

When I run backups on proxmox to my storage server it seems the transfers happen on the 1Gbe NIC where the webgui lives.

Is it possible to have them run over the 10GbE NIC?

Do I need to assign the 10GbE nic to the webgui in the network settings? I was hoping not having to do this because I like to turn off my 10GbE switch when not doing backups so I can save on power. My main workstation is also connected to this over 10GbE and I only tend to turn it on when I need to access my Freenas boxes over 10GbE.

Any suggestions on this?

Regards,
Karel.

Hi,

If the Freenas server is connected on the 10GbE switch, the backup should run over this network. Are the 10GbE and 1GbE NICs on different networks? Could you post your network configuration (/etc/network/interfaces) as well as the address and subnet of the Freenas server?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!