Force Stop Causes Systemd Timeout

Kalyan Sriram

Oct 17, 2019
Hi,
I've been having an issue on one of my proxmox servers lately, but I've been unable to recreate this on my other server:
I run a set of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Server VMs. When I launch VNC to access the VM shell after some time running, I encounter a spam of this error:
INFO: task systemd-journal:402 blocked for more than 120 seconds. Not tainted 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
INFO: task dockerd:1675 blocked for more than 120 seconds. Not tainted 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

This causes the shell to be inaccessible, so I end up shutting down the VM. However, since it hangs and doesn't shut down, I am forced to force "Stop" the VM. But after this, when I try to turn on that VM, I get the error: "timeout waiting for systemd", either in the Proxmox proxy dashboard or when running qm start <vmid>. I am able to start other VMs, and when I shutdown a VM in a safe manner, it starts up again correctly.

This has happened on several VMs on which I am running docker related services. I am currently forced to hard reboot my server every time this happens, something I cannot afford to do all the time. I have heard from some reading that this is caused by memory issues in the kernel, but does someone know of a fix to this?

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!