Flashcache on Proxmox 3.x

I'd be glad to discuss this, but I'd suggest opening a new thread for that purpose. It is not related to the topic at all.

I was wondering if dlasher or anyone has any more info or advance on these.

We are upgrading a local small server and was considering using 2 SSD disks to improve system, mainly using it for system and VMs on OpenVZ. I was also considering using them with LVM over softraid moving most write intensive partitions to a separate VG on standart HDDs and increasing systems RAM to use more tmpfs.

I am now rather confused about the fact that maybe the best use of SSDs at the moment is probably using them as flashcache disks instead but by what I've gathered this is still not supported by the standard Kernel of PVE 3. Can anyone clarify if this works patching the kernel? Is that really a much better use of the SSD disks os would it still make sense to use them as standard (old HDD) assuming they require some optimization and writes avoidind?

By the way I could not agree more with gkovacs about the different requirements/uses of PVE and the fact that the "you must" use hardware raid speech has probably never been completely right for everyone (I've had 3 low volume systems running with no issues for years), but specially now a days with the changes in technology and the power of CPUs, excess of RAM, etc.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!