Finally got PCI passthrough working for GPU and Win10 VM

ccroad

Mar 5, 2022
After struggling for about a week trying to get GPU passthrough working, I finally got it. I have an old HP Z620 that I picked up on Ebay (20 cores, 64G RAM...great home lab server) running Proxmox 7.1. I've been trying to pass through an NVidia GTX 1650 to a Windows 10 VM and kept getting the dreaded code 43 driver error. I followed numerous videos and guides, but this is the one that best reflects my current config:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/b5xpua/the_ultimate_beginners_guide_to_gpu_passthrough/

The issue was the Z620 has no onboard graphic card. The only card I had in the box was the 1650, but I run it headless. I figured the blacklist commands would keep the 1650 being used, but when I finally hooked a monitor to it, I could see Proxmox would "grab" the card for a few seconds at bootup. On the screen it would look like the boot process was frozen, but it wasn't. As soon as I would start the VM, the monitor with the "frozen" boot process would go dark, (So it was trying to use it) but then nothing else. Code 43 in the VM. I added a 2nd cheap graphics card, and once I did that, and option appeared in the Z620's BIOS to select which GPU I wanted to boot from, and which I wanted to ignore (that option did not exist with only one card in the system). So, I had the BIOS boot of the card I added and ignored the 1650. Viola! It worked!

There are probably a number of settings I have in Proxmox from the above link that I don't need, but I'm just happy it's working.

Chris

it's mostly when people try to set the igpu to pass to a win vm. igpu as being the only gfx present in the system in your case. On a hp Gen8, we got an onboard one, so putting a dedicated gpu in a pcie slot do work all time for vm... as being fully pass to x vm.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!