Filtering Outgoing Mails

dietmar

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
Austria
www.proxmox.com
Many mail filter solutions do not scan outgoing mails. Opposed to that Proxmox Mail Gateway is designed to scan both incoming and outgoing mails. This has two major advantages:

1. Proxmox is able to detect viruses sent from an internal host. I many countries you are liable for not sending viruses to other people. Proxmox outgoing mail scanning feature is an additional protection to avoid that.

2. Proxmox can gather statistics about outgoing mails too. Statistics about incoming mails looks nice, but they are quite useless. Consider two users, user-1 receives 10 mails from news portals and wrote 1 mail to a person you never heard from. While user-2 receiver 5 mails from a customer and sent 5 mails back. Which user do you consider more active? I am sure its user-2, because he communicates with your customers. Proxmox advanced address statistics can show you this important information. Solution which does not scan outgoing mail can’t do that.

To enable outgoing mail filtering you just need to send all outgoing mails through your proxmox mail gateway (usually by specifying proxmox as smarthost on your mail server). See the admin guide for more details.

- Dietmar

Wow, I didn't think of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many mail filter solutions do not scan outgoing mails. Opposed to that Proxmox Mail Gateway is designed to scan both incoming and outgoing mails.

- Dietmar

would it matter if I don't have it installed in my PC..would it make a difference?

Good info! I have Exchange 2010 and setup the Send connector to only use proxmox on the hub server using port 26. Mail is sending.
How can I check/verify sent spam is filtered? Would it say on the free edition? Perhaps I should use a trial license but if you could tell me please.

How do I relay outgoing mails from my PMG instance e.g. via Amazon SES? They require a Username & Password login on their SMTP server.

Hi There
We have a work network that runs a mail server that hosts several domains for our clients . Rather than mess with a full email web hosting server how can we filter incoming and outgoing , I have external smtp port 26 and internal 25 and it send to our mail transport on 192.168.1.85 , how do we route outgoing mail through 192.168.1.50 which is the proxmox mail filter on our network ?

We used to use untangle before on a machine with 2 nics , 1 was in from our isp , one was out to our internal router and it worked in bridge mode , I'm trying to replicate the same setup using proxmox but I'm having difficulty trying to wrap my head around the way it works .

thanks

How do I relay outgoing mails from my PMG instance e.g. via Amazon SES? They require a Username & Password login on their SMTP server.
Smarthost config with authentication can be done via cli. There are many manuals out there how to do it with postfix.

There is some way to explain this for example

Is it possible to use it in cpanel?

what would be the configuration as smart host

zimbra?

Please contact the support off 3rd-party vendors for questions regarding their product. I am sure that it works somehow but it might not work the gui way.

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to use proxmox just to filter incoming mails and not use it for outgoing if yes how is this done. I am on version 5.0.

Please advise.

Hi,
I'm trying to configure a filter for outgoing mail. I've created a Match field type "What Object" named Tagged spam where the field is "__SUBJECT__" and the value is a particular tag (eg [* SPAM *]). Then I've created a nuw rule in Mail filter with Action: Notify Admin and object "Tagged spam", direction Out. in short, everything seems correct but it does not work.
Other outgoing rules are working fine, so I can not figure out what's going wrong...maybe the macro in Match filed type? (the regex is ok)

Rob

Hello,
We started looking at proxmox mail gateway as a possible filtering solution and I saw in the manual and in this thread that it designed to filter in and out which is what we need.

When I look into the web interface, I see some rules for In, Out and In+Out and there seems to be less filtering going out or different names. I understand that some rules might not apply but I'd like the same rules in both directions when applicable and from what I can see, it doesn't seem possible to edit a rule from in to in+out so this means I have to recreate most of them? I also didn't see a button to clone a rule and modify it.

When I look into the web interface, I see some rules for In, Out and In+Out and there seems to be less filtering going out or different names. I understand that some rules might not apply but I'd like the same rules in both directions when applicable and from what I can see, it doesn't seem possible to edit a rule from in to in+out so this means I have to recreate most of them? I also didn't see a button to clone a rule and modify it.
You can change the direction (in, out, in+out) of a rule by editing it:
* either click on the 'edit icon' (the pencil next to the active/inactive toggle button or
* double click on the rule

I hope this helps!

P.S. Please open a fresh thread next time than replying to one from over a year ago - increases the chances of getting an answer.

I was looking in the right part of the interface where you can see and modify the rules and I thought that was editing the rule and expected to be able to change the direction there.

Using the pencil works fine once I know about it.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!