File vs. Block Storage

mstarks01

Jul 1, 2020
Hello, everyone. New user here.

First, I'd like to acknowledge and thank everyone who has developed and contributed to Proxmox. It appears to be a highly polished product and I'm eager to get started.

I went through the default install and saw that a few partitions were created. The data partition was created as a block storage device and this is relatively new to me. Imagine my confusion when I dropped to a shell and couldn't find my data!

Considering that I prefer to have my server disk encrypted with full-disk encryption and I have only 16GB of RAM, would a more traditional file system be a better option? ZFS appears to require a fair amount of RAM. I have seen some posts about people installing Debian, then installing Proxmox in order to get the FDE.

My questions are:
1. Can I still achieve thin provisioning at the FS level without using block storage? Does it require qcow?
2. What am I effectively giving up by not going the block storage route besides over-provisioning?
3. if I choose to install Debian and then Proxmox, how is that different than a native CD installer? I think I read somewhere that Proxmox uses an Ubuntu kernel. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi bro
1. u can use NFS, CephFS for FS
2. for u company budget, about maximum using 70% for u capacity storage in real other cluster storage. that means u can over-provisioning 140% then keep them safe
3. Yah, Debian u can call foreign-child of Ubuntu, u can customize partition disk, install some package blabla when u install Proxmox from OS

Hi bro
1. u can use NFS, CephFS for FS
2. for u company budget, about maximum using 70% for u capacity storage in real other cluster storage. that means u can over-provisioning 140% then keep them safe
3. Yah, Debian u can call foreign-child of Ubuntu, u can customize partition disk, install some package blabla when u install Proxmox from OS

Thanks for your response. I'll look into CephFS as an option.

This is for my personal use, so company budget is my budget. :) I don't really need over-provisioning, but I do want to make use of thin provisioning.

I'm OK with using Debian and installing PVE on top, but I'd like to understand the trade-offs. In other words, how much is customized in the PVE installer? What packages are included vs. a clean Debian install? What about the kernel? What else might be tweaked?

Is anyone able to comment on the differences between installing Proxmox on Debian and using the Debian installer?

The PVE installer will partition the disk in a specific way. For a root FS that is not ZFS it will create an LVM with a root LV and a thin provisioned LV for guest disks.
If you install it in UEFI mode with ZFS it will set up systemd-boot instead of GRUB.

I think these are the basic things that will be different if you use the installer vs installing it on top of debian.

Reactions: mstarks01
Thanks, Aaron. I ran across this just yesterday. Does it about sum things up? It seems like the file system, sources and kernel may be the only real differences.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!