Fencing help

kumarullal

Renowned Member
Jun 17, 2009
LA, USA
Hi,
I don't understand fencing from the proxmox wiki. I need help. I have 2 simple desktops (Atom CPU)which I will include in a cluster. I don't need KVM (Because the processor does not support VT). All I need is HA on openvz containers.
So what is the easiest and cheapest method of fencing for each node?
What do I need for fencing (Hardware etc)
Can some one explain a step by step procedure?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Having never heard of a fencing device before seeing it as a requirement for HA, I can relate to the uncertainty around it. I had to read through this several times before I figured out what fencing was for and how to set it up: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Fencing. I haven't done this myself, but that article gives a lot of good information about what devices to use and how to set them up.

On a side note, I REALLY hope that in the future we will be able to set up HA without using a fencing device.

Deejross, you are absolutely right

Tom,
Some questions that I have before I even begin is:
1 APC device, is this a UPS? I am assuming it does have ethernet port.
2 DO we need one APC device per Node OR one APC device can handle multiple nodes?
3 On my proxmox nodes, do I have to assign an extra NIC card to talk to the APC device? If yes, should it be just ethX or vmbrX ?

Once I have these basic questions answered, then it gives a better perspective to the wiki article.
Thanks in advance.

Deejross, you are absolutely right

Tom,
Some questions that I have before I even begin is:
1 APC device, is this a UPS? I am assuming it does have ethernet port.
the wiki mentions AP7921, which is not a UPS - just see the APC webpages for product details. but there are also UPS with ethernet ports.
2 DO we need one APC device per Node OR one APC device can handle multiple nodes?
yes, such a device can handle multiple nodes.
3 On my proxmox nodes, do I have to assign an extra NIC card to talk to the APC device? If yes, should it be just ethX or vmbrX ?

Once I have these basic questions answered, then it gives a better perspective to the wiki article.
Thanks in advance.
you can configure the network in many ways, most important is reliability and redundancy.

Have a feeling this is going to be a fun feature to implement, I'm learning how to get our BMC accessible via SOL.
So your not alone, not sure there is going to be an easy 1..2..3 step tutorial.

Good luck!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!