Fencing, HA with Dell M1000e. Stop Power and doesn't work.

Feb 6, 2013
Trujillo
Hi,

I'll try to put my cluster with HA. I have 4 nodes. I changed cluster.conf and validate. My cluster.conf: http://pastebin.com/BcymtFCx
If I launch fence_drac5: fence_drac5 -m server-1 -l root -p dc4CEYaB -a 192.168.3.44 -o list -x.... it works correctly.
But if I execute "fence_node cetamox-01 -vv", I obtain this:
fence cetamox-01 dev 0.0 agent fence_drac5 result: error from agent
agent args: nodename=cetamox-01 agent=fence_drac5 ipaddr= 192.168.9.173 login=root module_name=server-1 passwd=password secure=1
fence cetamox-01 failed

When cluster is running and I stop the RGManager Service in a node... it works correctly and VW are start on another node. But if I interrupt the power in a node with VM it doesn't works and VM stops.

I have 2 LVM groups like storage elements and are shared correctly.

Have you got any idea about my problem??.

Thanks.

Last edited:
But if I execute "fence_node cetamox-01 -vv", I obtain this:
fence cetamox-01 dev 0.0 agent fence_drac5 result: error from agent
agent args: nodename=cetamox-01 agent=fence_drac5 ipaddr= 192.168.9.173 login=root module_name=server-1 passwd=w6TCwxyU secure=1
fence cetamox-01 failed

fencing must works, otherwise HA will not work. check your cluster.conf, as far as I see you configured the same IP address for all 4 fencing devices - this looks not ok for me. also the password is not set, ...

Hi Tom,

I put the different IP of Blades and pass.... it doesn't work.
Then I put de iDrac IP and DRAC pass.... it doesn't work.

The software is IDRAC7. I think that it doesn't matter.

Buf if I launch

fence_drac5 -m Server-1 -l root -p password -a 192.168.9.173 -o list -x.... it works correctly.

Have you got any idea??

Is it 'server-1' or 'Server-1'?

- - - Updated - - -

fence_drac5 -m Server-1 -l root -p password -a 192.168.9.173 -o list -x.... it works correctly.

And reboot also works?

fence_drac5 -m Server-1 -l root -p password -a 192.168.9.173 -o reboot -x

I have the new configuration for Fencing (with ipmilan). And I have the VM with HA activated.
When I tryed to launch fence_node, NODE; the node goes to reboot and VMs starts in other NODE. But when I shutdown a node with power off directly AC, the VM's doesn't restart in other NODE.

is it normal?

ok, I think that the fencing is OK now. I need to put on cluster.conf, in argument for fence_ipmilan -> option=monitor and fence works perfectly. But now, I have other problem to do HA. When I shutdown by power off A/C one node, the other 3 nodes starts VMs from that NODE. But if I shutdown other NODE.... I only have a cluster with two nodes and appears a message that says: Quorum Dissolved and I cant starts this VM's.
Could I solved it??

I'll try with expected_votes="1" or/and two_node="1", but it doesn't work.

ok, I think that the fencing is OK now. I need to put on cluster.conf, in argument for fence_ipmilan -> option=monitor and fence works perfectly. But now, I have other problem to do HA. When I shutdown by power off A/C one node, the other 3 nodes starts VMs from that NODE.

yes, thats the idea of our HA implementation. as soon as you mark a VM as HA, the rgmanager make sure that the VM is always on.

if you do not want that VMs are managed in that way, don´t mark them as HA.

But if I shutdown other NODE.... I only have a cluster with two nodes and appears a message that says: Quorum Dissolved and I cant starts this VM's.
Could I solved it??

I'll try with expected_votes="1" or/and two_node="1", but it doesn't work.

If you have 3 nodes in total, the cluster is operational as long as two nodes are up. if you loose two nodes, then only one is left and therefor you lost quorum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!