Feature Request to Proxmox Dev Team?

fortechitsolutions

Renowned Member
Jun 4, 2008
Hi, I am not sure where to submit a request like this so thought I would post it here. I hope that OK.

This is I think a minor GUI tweak, maybe might be considered of use/good?

Right now in web GUI for 'hardware' on a KVM Virtual Machine,
  • hard drive size is shown for attached hard drives
  • but once a drive is 'detached' it is listed as "unused disk" but no size is visible any longer
I think it might be really useful for size to still be visible, for drives which are unused and not just active ones. It acts as a good 'sanity check' when you are deleting a detached drive , possibly. Or makes it easier to see what drive(s) and sizes are present with the VM / even if they are not attached.

Sample is as per screenshot snippet:
post-me-figure.png

gallery

Thanks,

Tim

Bugs/Feature request go usually here: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

You can see the sizes of the volumes on the storage itself. The size shown here might not be accurate (from config), as it needs active scanning of the volume size (done when attaching), to see what it actually is.

Hi Alwin, thanks for the info. It wasn't clear to me how the 'size' info is reported when disks are attached in this view. I sort-of guessed it must be a semi-active process / because I know (for example) if you manually swap out one Virtual disk file for another "under the hood" (ie, via CLI, rename one into the name previously occupied by the 'original' one) - that it does not change-update in the GUI. So that makes sense if this "Size#" is allocated at time of attach.

I do realize the sizes are visible elsewhere (ie, via storage 'content' view; and also via CLI of course).

End of the day, for people who are managing virtual drives from the "hardware" pane of the VM / actively doing work (ie, attaching and detaching / deleting drives)... this is who might benefit... . If you already have the logic/code for 'scanning and assigning' a human-visible 'size' when 'attaching' a virtual disk; I would have guessed? that it should not be difficult to re-use that same code/routine for a similar 'when detached, assign a size that is visible' to the 'detached disk' / in the same manner as it is currently done when a disk is 'attached' - basically do same for when they are 'detached' as well? But if that is not the case, I appreciate it, and of course I realize a feature request is simply that - a request.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Tim

The scan is done for a VM or all of them on all active storage entries to add lost disks or update the size. This is obviously a very expensive operation and better not done too often. But nevertheless, you are welcome to add a feature request, there may be more than my opinion. ;)

sounds good. I will post a feature request formally to the bugzilla link you provided, and we'll see if any other feedback accumulates.

Tim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!