Feature request: Reboot required

Apr 26, 2018
Certain Proxmox packages do not notify administrators of a required reboot. For example, the kernel, glibc, libc6, systemd. Likely there are other packages but those come to mind.

With Debian and Ubuntu, such packages create /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs or /var/run/reboot-required. Those files provide administrators a way of evaluating reboots.

As /run typically is mounted in tmpfs, the files disappear on a reboot.

This is a handy feature. I hope you will consider. I can help test.

Thanks much. :)

Certain Proxmox packages do not notify administrators of a required reboot. For example, the kernel, glibc, libc6, systemd. Likely there are other packages but those come to mind.

With Debian and Ubuntu, such packages create /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs or /var/run/reboot-required. Those files provide administrators a way of evaluating reboots.

As /run typically is mounted in tmpfs, the files disappear on a reboot.

This is a handy feature. I hope you will consider. I can help test.

Thanks much. :)

except for the kernel, none of those are provided by Proxmox. there are already lots of tools that handle stuff like this (I would recommend needrestart, but you probably want to add lxc-monitord and pve-container@* to the whitelist of services which should not be restarted).

Thank you for the reply.

If the kernel packages are updated to provide the standard Debian/Ubuntu /var/run/reboot-required.pkgs or /var/run/reboot-required, then that would be nice too.

I use the needs-restarting and needs-restart tools in CentOS. I was unaware of a similar tool in Debian. Thank you for that information. :)

Hi there,
any news on that - shouldnt be a big deal to provide those files with your custom rolled kernel.
We could really use these information for our ansible scripts to automagically reboot the systems, as we try to manage all our PVE nodes with ansible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!