Feature Request: Notes for Backup Files

codejp3

Nov 29, 2019
Title says it.

I can't be the only one with a list of VM/CT backups wishing that those backup files showed more than just the CT/VM# and DTG. Proxmox kinda assumes that the latest backup is always the desired backup to restore, but that's just not always the case. I typically only do backups for specific reasons. Seeing a DTG doesn't really help me identify which backup I should restore.

A lifesaver would be adding a simple "Note:" field where we can type free-form notes, like
"Fresh CT Creation"
"Latest Updates Applied"
"Permission Tweaks"
"Security and Hardening Applied"
"Test config with special settings"
"Trying out pkg XYZ with ABC options"
and so on....

A helpful way to identify what's actually in each backup file.

As it stands now, I have to GUESS which backup, inspect it after restoration, and if I restored the wrong one, keep trying until I pick the right one. A simple "Notes:" field would save a ton of time and headaches.

Reactions: ricardoj
also, this is kinda possible already, the vm config (incl description) gets backed up
so you could have the following workaround for now:

change description to include your backup reason
backup
change the description back

when you want to find out what a backup was, press the 'show configuration' button which shows the config (and the description)

I can't be the only one with a list of VM/CT backups wishing that those backup files showed more than just the CT/VM# and DTG. Proxmox kinda

No, you are not. Something similar has already been requested properly:
  • Bug 438 - include name of vm/vz in backup filename
  • Bug 1888 - Webui option to add a comment in the name of the backup file
  • Bug 1993 - Add notes on vzdump backup
  • Bug 2039 - add commentary field in the manual backup dialog form

Reactions: PlOrAdmin
Thanks for the suggestion - I will keep that in mind for future improvements ...

Thank You!

so you could have the following workaround for now:

change description to include your backup reason
backup
change the description back

I see your point and will probably take this approach for now. But, it's not ideal. To change that description, I'm either clicking on the container > Summary > Notes and editing it there, or dropping to the command line and manually editing the conf file, and have to remember to do that before every backup.

What I (and apparently many others) would prefer is something inline, or "in the natural flow of" performing backups that happens right then and there, per backup operation. It could be as simple as a comment in the conf file like you suggest, but just making that a part of the backup process instead of separate.

No, you are not. Something similar has already been requested properly:
I wouldn't consider it a bug, which is why I didn't go the bug tracker route. I'm new, and figuring things. I'll get it right eventually.

Hi,

Do not think at backup only;) Think global and on long term. TAG is for this. You could use a tag for a comment if you want. But is more general and usefull. You can tag one storage, a network interface/bridge, a vm or a ct.
Now imagine a action like this: backup all my vm/ct with tag green on schedule green using storage red. For @codecjp3 use case he can have several backups with his desired tags like "fresh CT". Anything could be done tagged aware (interfaces, cron jobs, vlans, pve-zsync tasks, migration tasks, whatever)

Then the next steps could be to publish this tagged info in something like consul. At this point we could have action and interactivity like : if any RED backup is fail, then .... (something in monit style), or if nodes with tag red are down then restore only the red vm on the yellow nodes.

It is allready a feature request about this ideea (more or less).

Sorry if my imagination (.... like "I have a dream..." M. L. King) is too optimistic ; )

Good luck / Bafta

Sorry if my imagination (.... like "I have a dream..." M. L. King) is too optimistic ; )

If the capabilities you described were in place, I'd absolutely use them! I can think of all kinds of scenarios it could be used for. It would be awesome, but that's like a full-blown system within itself and probably not a priority for "the mass of users", so unless you or I are gonna help code it, it's probably not going to happen. That's my guess.

I've been using Proxmox for a home lab for about 6 years now and absolutely love it. I'm an amateur/intermediate coder with intermediate/advanced linux knowledge and would love to contribute to Proxmox. A system like you describe is a bit ambitious for my first one, but perhaps I can tackle the simple backup notes, or something else simple. I'm reading up on how to contribute now and starting to head in that direction.

Reactions: guletz
A system like you describe is a bit ambitious for my first one

.... o no! Is like my fther say: do you want to build somthing or not ;) Yes, I do realise that this will need a lot of coding. But I do not think that will be usefull only for a minority of pmx users. A simple vote sytem will show the true ;) I also love the PMX, but I think it will be need a "kick in the bu... to go forward"(romanian sentence, sorry for my english). But maybe we can as a comumity(PMX emploees included here) to help. Some guys can code, other can test the code and so on(I can test in different enviroments, and help to on coding logic). Anyway thx you verry much for your kindly words.

I can guess that PMX emploees can do it 2 ways:

1. what we can improve on short term for the most of ours users(easy way)
2. what we can improve on med/long term for ourrs next 3-4 years user base(hard way)

And maybe it will be usefull for PMX to ask their users: what do you think it will be more usefull to do in the next 2-3 years?
I have seen many good projects who has die like openvz, virtualserver and others.

Sorry if I upset some forum colleagues, it was not my intention!

Good luck /Bafta !

I have seen many good projects who has die like openvz, virtualserver and others.
Two signs that show the demise of a project:
1.) Unresponsive/Inactive community, forum, and bugtracker
2.) Broken interface

Proxmox is doing just fine from what I can tell. Look at the amount of response this topic has received in about 24hrs, including valid input/feedback from Proxmox staff. The interface is rock-solid. One of the best and most stable admin interfaces I've ever used. Proxmox is not showing signs of dying anytime soon.

Sorry if I upset some forum colleagues, it was not my intention!
I think you're good. Feedback and criticism shouldn't bother anyone that cares about input from their users. The Proxmox team really does seem to be on top of things, and doing most things right. If they see the same vision and value that we do, they'll pursue it.

Checking back in a few years later....

WE GOT NOTES FOR BACKUPS!!!! :D:D:D

Thanks Proxmox Team!
Fantastic, I just found this thread while I was wondering if the infos I had in Notes could be restored from backup. Is there anything that I need to do in order to ensure that the Notes section is included in the backup, or is it automatically included?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!