Feature Request: Green IT

danielmayer

Sep 11, 2019
Hi all,
I completely miss any configuration options in the WebGUI to set energy-related options for a VM Host.
For example: PVE6 runs the performance governor by default. I own an EPYC 32Core/64T CPU with 16 VMs. I need to set at boot time via crontab the powersave governor to save at least 100W. Better would be perhaps the ondemand governor with specific up/down-latencies.
No options for HDD spindown etc.
- "Green IT" seems to be an enemy of Proxmox ;)
I'd like to see a lot of comfort in an integration into the WebGUI.

Thanks,
Daniel M.

"Green IT" seems to be an enemy of Proxmox

the opposite is true. by using virtualization (qemu and lxc), you can save a lot of resources.

but due to many reasons, a Proxmox VE host has to run at full speed.

but due to many reasons, a Proxmox VE host has to run at full speed.

Not only PVE. I've a lot of servers from different vendors that were very unstable with setting power saving settings in the BIOS and all machines have to be set to performance mode to work as they should. Therefore, Intel has a special portion of their server cpus with a very low TDP, so that it'll consume no much power. AMD is normally at the other end of the spectrum. I just read that the newest Ryzen top of the line is only more power hungry, but not much faster. Also, their GPUs at the time of the nvidia 1080 was so power hungry, that some boards ran into their pcie slot power limit.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!