Feature Request: Block Storage Integration with storage vendors

Jun 28, 2019
Hi,

There are plans for Proxmox support block storage integrations drivers for storage vendors like DELL,HP,IBM,LENOVO etc.. the same way OpenStack CINDER does?

Would be nice to use this for storage features like Create/Delete snapshots, create/attach/extend block storage volumes directly on storage software.

Last edited:
we do all this for ZFS and Ceph - much nicer than using third party, proprietary and high price products.

we do all this for ZFS and Ceph - much nicer than using third party, proprietary and high price products.

CEPH doesn't have the same advanced features as storage vendors has.. also is not compatible for integration with third-party backup softwares... like Veeam Backup, etc...

Managing block volumes on top of proprietary storage software is much more convenient because you can leverage the storage vendors integrations.. like synchronous replication, storage snapshots, backup over SAN, etc...

Many cloud companies already have VMware or Hyper-v in-place environments running virtual machines on top of enterprise class storages, so, if we could have a chance to use these same features with opensource products like Proxmox to offer ours cloud customers a cost-effective solution with enterprise class features which are most part only available on high-cost virtualization clouds would be have nice!!!

Last edited:
CEPH doesn't have the same advanced features as storage vendors has.. also is not compatible for integration with third-party backup softwares... like Veeam Backup, etc...

regarding the advanced features - the opposite is true for Ceph. Check again the feature list.

Managing block volumes on top of proprietary storage software is much more convenient because you can leverage the storage vendors integrations.. like synchronous replication, storage snapshots, backup over SAN, etc...

You get all this with free software like Ceph.

Many cloud companies already have VMware or Hyper-v in-place environments running virtual machines on top of enterprise class storages, so, if we could have a chance to use these same features with opensource products like Proxmox to offer ours cloud customers a cost-effective solution with enterprise class features which are most part only available on high-cost virtualization clouds would be have nice!!!
Ceph is the leading storage technologies in cloud deployments. If you want a cost effective and high performance solutions, why do you use overpriced products with proprietary software and limited features?

Ceph supports block devices, a file system, self healing, replication and high availability, snapshot, ..
And as its open source, it can be fully integrated.

You can develop storage plugins for third party storage boxes, in fact some exists somewhere (e.g. for netapp). But as the free software solutions are already better in almost all situations, the interest for such implementations is limited.

If you run local storage, use ZFS, if you need a replacement for SAN/NAS, go for Ceph.

See also https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage

Reactions: guletz
Ceph is the leading storage technologies in cloud deployments. If you want a cost effective and high performance solutions, why do you use overpriced products with proprietary software and limited features?

We use because we already have these storage in-place, being used for our VMware cloud infrastructure.. so, there is no reason to use CEPH since we already have a working storage infrastructure...

Again, CEPH does not provide the same set of features as HIGH-END storage vendors (I'm talking about DELL SC/HP 3PAR, EMC VNX/Unity, etc which does disk-tiering (SSD to HDD block move), Data progression, fast track, fast cache, snapshot deduplication, unmap block space reclamation/shrink, etc )... that's why I create this thread.. and would be nice to have a choice to use these kind of features in conjunct with proxmox, as OpenStack CINDER does!!

Probably who develop these plugins is the storage vendors right? the same way as storage replication adapter (SRA) for VMware/SRM works!!! maybe the storage vendors does not have interest in integrate with proxmox?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
We use because we already have these storage in-place, being used for our VMware cloud infrastructure.. so, there is no reason to use CEPH since we already have a working storage infrastructure...

Again, CEPH does not provide the same set of features as HIGH-END storage vendors (I'm talking about DELL SC/HP 3PAR, EMC VNX/Unity, etc which does disk-tiering (SSD to HDD block move), Data progression, fast track, fast cache, snapshot deduplication, unmap block space reclamation/shrink, etc )... that's why I create this thread.. and would be nice to have a choice to use these kind of features in conjunct with proxmox, as OpenStack CINDER does!!

Probably who develop these plugins is the storage vendors right? the same way as storage replication adapter (SRA) for VMware/SRM works!!! maybe the storage vendors does not have interest in integrate with proxmox?

Thanks in advance.

Ill take ceph over Nimble or 3par any day without even blinking (We are a HP OEM shop). Most of everything your saying it can't do, it actually can.

Ill take ceph over Nimble or 3par any day without even blinking (We are a HP OEM shop). Most of everything your saying it can't do, it actually can.

I pretty understand that CEPH have "some" cool features.. some maybe close to HIGH END storages, but for us, as a cloud enterprise, that offers from high to low cost platform cloud, being able to offer to our customers a cost-effective solution with features only available in high costly cloud companies.. would be great!! I already use OpenStack with CINDER on top of our EMC storages, but I couldn't find a way to leverage 100% of these features with proxmox... once we already have these infrastructure running in-place, there is no reason to choose CEPH instead.

Thanks for your point of view anyway!!

Last edited:
I pretty understand that CEPH have "some" cool features.. some maybe close to HIGH END storages, but for us, as a cloud enterprise, that offers from high to low cost platform cloud, being able to offer to our customers a cost-effective solution with features only available in high costly cloud companies.. would be great!! I already use OpenStack with CINDER on top of our EMC storages, but I couldn't find a way to leverage 100% of these features with proxmox... once we already have these infrastructure running in-place, there is no reason to choose CEPH instead.

Thanks for your point of view anyway!!

Yea I just think what your asking is pretty far fetched from a open source project such as this. VMWare and the big guys are getting big bucks for their subscriptions which allows them to put that type of effort in. Hire developers, purchase all the different types of hardware, there really is alot to it.

Personally I would rather see proxmox stay as is (CHEAP) and let me do the leg work. For example, in our enviroment we integrate with hardware snapshots via the hardware vendors API which allows us to take/manage/clone snapshots with scripts. Pretty much anything can be done via the API.

On the flip side, Ceph has ALOT of advanced features that high end proprietary hardware doesn't!

I get were your coming from, but it feels like you want the best of both worlds and to save money. Its just not that simple.

I get were your coming from, but it feels like you want the best of both worlds and to save money. Its just not that simple.

Actually, I want to accelerate our ROI with proxmox... if we gonna reach the goal of having the best of both worlds... only the time will answer that!!! For now, I'll work with the best of proxmox can do for us with our actual environment!!

Thanks bro!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!