fdisk and sfdisk missing from pve 7.0 installation iso?

alyarb

Feb 11, 2020
I'm just pointing this out for others, since I use the 6.x ISOs as well, but it is nice sometimes to be able to boot the ISO into debug mode and have all the usual disk utilities there.

On the new ISO, fdisk and sfdisk are missing.... just saying! Was it necessary to remove them?

fdisk is on the ISO and available in debug mode. As for sfdisk, yes it's not packaged, but I don't believe it was included in the 6.x ISO either.

Last edited:
sfdisk and fdisk were both included in 6.x.

neither are included in 7.x, I am looking at it right now, proxmox-ve_7.0-1.iso from July

Hi, I just boot into ProxMox debug mode with 7.0-2 ISO, I want to clean my hard disks as old partitions caused trouble. But I found there is only fdisk command, not gdisk and wipefs commands, and fdisk command can not delete old GPT partitions of harddisk.

Last edited:
Hi,

ensure you exit the first level of the debug shell (e.g., with exit or CTRL+D) as the first level is only the very basic initramdisk, at the second level more of the actual installation environment is loaded and gdisk and sgdisk is both available there (we use it directly in the installer so we'd notice if not):
1633498787281.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!