FC and Snapshot Support

degan

Sep 25, 2019
Wuerzburg/Germany
Are there plans for native FibreChannel support and an alternative to vmfs? I think this is a crucial factor for many enterprise customers.
In my opinion, Proxmox needs to completely reorient itself in the storage area in order to take off in the enterprise environment. Many customers are unable to switch from VMware due to these limitations. The only option currently is Ceph, which is not suitable for everyone. Alternatives should be created here.

Are there plans for native FibreChannel support and an alternative to vmfs? I think this is a crucial factor for many enterprise customers.
In my opinion, Proxmox needs to completely reorient itself in the storage area in order to take off in the enterprise environment.
Ceph is far superior to these legacy storage technologies.
So in short, we do not plan to implement that.

Reactions: kellogs and pvps1
Taking a technological step backwards is not a step forward.
Classic FC and iSCSI storages will see a sharp decline in global market share over the next few years.
Even with other hypervisors, you migrate to HCI. e.g. HyperV you migrate to S2D, unless you still have storage, because that was a cost-effective solution with VMware.
Those who want to continue using their old storage can do so, but not as conveniently.

Ceph is significantly cheaper and more convenient.

Ceph is far superior to these legacy storage technologies.
So in short, we do not plan to implement that.
Thank you for that! Lets make ceph OSD alert on failure and more nicer GUI please such as able to see each VM usage on the IOPS and able to limit the IOPS too

The only option currently is Ceph, which is not suitable for everyone.
CEPH is not FC and if you broaden your search to include NVMe-over-TCP and iSCSI, there are other vendors providing exactly what PVE needs, yet the usual default vendors that support VMware have not invested time and money (yet), so there is not integration yet. If you want out-of-the-box based storage for PVE with snapshot support, just buy it from e.g. Blockbridge.

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!