[SOLVED] Failing kernel upgrade

kuzco201

Mar 1, 2020
I tried running some updates on my server like I do a lot but for some reason this time it completely broke my apt. The latest 5.15 kernel just won't install and I've tried everything that I could find online to fix it. Only thing left that I can do is delete old kernels that are still installed but even that is not possible because everytime I try to purge an old kernel apt will try and install the new 5.15 one that keeps failed. It says no space left on device but when doing an df -h it shows that I still have 500gb left on the disk. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Knipsel.PNG
    Knipsel.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Knipsel2.PNG
    Knipsel2.PNG
    26.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Knipsel3.PNG
    Knipsel3.PNG
    61.1 KB · Views: 21
It tells you that your ESP is running out of space. So your 512MB sdX2 partition. Probably because you got too much old kernels because you didn't ran apt autoremove after an kernel upgrade.

It tells you that your ESP is running out of space. So your 512MB sdX2 partition. Probably because you got too much old kernels because you didn't ran apt autoremove after an kernel upgrade.
That's the weird thing because I always run apt autoremove && apt autoclean after each time I update something. Also when I run apt autoremove && apt autoclean right now, it tells me there's nothing to remove.

Is there a good way to remove the broken package from the "not fully installed" list. So I can start on removing old kernels manually?

Maybe one of these help:

That's the weird thing because I always run apt autoremove && apt autoclean after each time I update something. Also when I run apt autoremove && apt autoclean right now, it tells me there's nothing to remove.

Autoremove for the PVE-kernel was introduced sometime in PVE 6 [1], so you have to remove any older kernels left manually one time.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/clean-old-kernels.42040/#post-257792

Reactions: kuzco201
Thx! Mounting the ESP and removing the old kernels manualy worked, like explained in the threads you shared. I'm now working on manually deleting some really old ones that apt autoremove doesn't handle. Hopefully this won't happen again.

Reactions: Neobin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!