Failed Windows 2003 KVM install

jva1601

Oct 19, 2010
Hello,

I have attempted to create a KVM type virtual machine using Windows 2003, from CD or an ISO file. Both failed with the error shown on the screen capture image I am attaching. I have no problems installing Win2k, XP, and Windows 2008. I am using the latest Proxmox stable version with the most current updates applied. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how to solve it? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2011-10-26 at 11.34.19 AM.png

just do a second boot and it will work. make sure you point the VM to boot again from the CD.

Hi

i did what you said, i rebooted again, but it didnt work..it kept freeze with the blackone image..btw, i attached the boot's order screen capture,

i have a cuestion, why the mentioned situation doesnt happen with a Linux installation ???

thanks ,

Attachments

• error_install_win2003_boot.png
    error_install_win2003_boot.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 6
  • error_install_win2003_boot_order.png
    error_install_win2003_boot_order.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
you did set your VM to boot from CD - did you assin a valid CD or ISO?

Hi Tom

1. Yes (Screenshot attached)
2.yes is valid image, i had to try with a ISO FILE and with a "Real" Cd-Rom, with the same result = "not working"

thanks

,error_install_win2003_hw.pngerror_install_win2003_boot_order.png

post your 'pveversion -v'

pve-manager: 1.9-24 (pve-manager/1.9/6542)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-47
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve : 2.6.32-47
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl 3.0.29-2pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm 0.15.0-1
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

looks fine. are you sure that your ISO image is OK? can you boot other ISO images, e.g. Ubuntu?

yeah, ...other Vm's are running rigth now..

Ubuntu Server from a ISO FILE, was a clean installation..
Win server 2003 from a other KVM host no proxmox (migration)

and i try a clean installation from winserver 2003 Cd-rom with the same result no work, no matter if is a Cd-ROM o iso file

Hi,

i change the disk type from IDE to SCSI and the installation works ...i dont know why???... any clues?

thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!