Failed to boot on HP Z820

martgb

Jul 21, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install Proxmox on a HP workstation Z820 for learning purposes. The installation completes successfully however, when the computer restarts I get the following message:

Non-system disk or disk error.
No bootable device found.

I have attached a picture of what I see on the screen as well as my computer specs. Any assistance will be much appreciated.
IMG-1646 small.jpgIMG-1650 small.jpg

Hi,

did you check the boot order in the BIOS, maybe the disk is not in there :).

Hi,

did you check the boot order in the BIOS, maybe the disk is not in there :).

Boot order is fine. There nothing else installed.

I also tried manually selecting Proxmox in manual boot. The funny thing here is that Proxmox does shows up as an option in the UEFI boot menu.
I still get the same message in the end though.

Thinking about it, it looks like my BIOS is very old. I couldn't even find "Secure boot" in the menus.
Will upgrade the BIOS and report back in case this fixes the issues and someone else ever run into the same problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!