Fail2Ban for VMs/containers

LnxBil

Distinguished Member
Feb 21, 2015
Saarland, Germany
Hi,

Does anyone use fail2ban also for monitoring and filtering entries of the PVE firewall itself? I'm explicitly NOT talking about the PVE host, but about VMs/containers that are firewalled via PVE and log entries in /var/log/pve-firewall.log. This could and should be possible in general.

Best,
LnxBil

I use fail2ban on all VMs and hosts. However, I don't use it to monitor PVE firewall log entries. I use it for its intended main purpose of banning brute force attacks over network sockets, mostly for SSH access.

I do not use fail2ban because I find the Proxmox firewall (FW) tools to be very good.

Using the Proxmox FW "macro" options, I created some security groups that I apply to containers. For example, one group allows only infrastructure network subnets. Another group is for basic web servers. Another group for name servers. With those groups and basic FW design (drop all not allowed), the FW works nicely.

For monitoring in the containers I run a home-made shell script in an hourly cron job to check the authentication log for typical intrusion attempt messages. The log is always empty of such messages, which indicates the FW is working correctly to drop intrusion attempts. I haven't received any email alerts from intrusion attempts in many months. The script does work because on one container server used by technicians I do receive email alerts from local login "fat finger" mistakes.

I hope that helps. :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!