Fail to boot Proxmox 8 installed from Debian

setupcon is missing. Please install the 'console-setup' package.
from the apt install log above - maybe this could cause the missing output?

please try installing the package (and doing the update-intramfs / and update-grub invocation again)

the symlinking is most likely not necessary (I guess that grub has set it's root to the disk/partition mounted on /boot...)

Still no luck unfortunately. I also tried manually setting the efibootmgr settings again.
Code:
    2  apt install pve-kernel-6.2
    3  vi /etc/default/grub
    4  ln -sf /boot/initrd.img-6.2.16-4-pve /initrd.img
    5  ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-4-pve /vmlinuz
    8  apt install console-setup
   17  update-initramfs -u -k all
   18  /sbin/grub-install --efi-directory=/boot/efi
   19  efibootmgr
   20  /bin/efibootmgr -b 0000 -B
   21  /bin/efibootmgr -b 0001 -B
   22  /bin/efibootmgr -b 0003 -B
   23  update-grub
   24  efibootmgr
   25  /bin/efibootmgr -c -d /dev/disk/by-id/ata-TCSUNBOW_X3_120GB_2019091100600 -p 1 -L init1-a -l /EFI/debian/grubx64.efi

This is also not working for me.

Fresh install of Debian 12.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_12_Bookworm
Step - Install the Proxmox VE Kernel
apt install pve-kernel-6.2
systemctl reboot

After the reboot it gets stuck on
Booting `Debian GNU/Linux`
Loading Linux 6.2.16-4-pve ...
Loading initial ramdsk ...
I hit same issue. Tried PVE install on encrypted Debian 12 because Proxmox ISO does not support encryption for either ext4 or zfs.

Is there any idea for any of us folks trying to have PVE with encrypted root?

Is this something that will be addressed by the Proxmox team? A big shame to lose functionality of such a fundamental security requirement for many production systems.

I came back to try again after a while seeing slightly new instructions with apt install proxmox-default-kernel.

Unfortunately still stuck at loading initial ramdisk with an encrypted root.

Would be nice to hear something back from the Proxmox team whether this is going to be addressed in the future, as it was fully working in Debian 11.

I'm having the same problem, tried to follow the wiki going via Debian 12.5 netinstall amd64 iso, setting up a LUKS-encrypted disk with LVM works fine; I added dropbear-initramfs and verified remote unlock works.
But as soon as I
Bash:
apt install proxmox-default-kernel
reboot
everythings breaks. The system gets stuck in initramfs and won't accept any input via local keyboard (after it worked just fine in grub, so a hardware issue or exotic drivers are ruled out). I have managed to get back in to the system via a debian live iso, but found no solution to the problem as of yet.
For now, full disk enryption with LUKS by installing proxmox on top of vanilla debian is not a viable path. Wiki should be updated with a warning, I can imagine more people running into this.

edit:
So I installed proxmox-default-kernel again and got stuck in the init again, but just typing in the password to my encrypted drive blind (there's no prompt, no blinking cursor) worked... might have from the beginning, can't test anymore.
I modified /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf to set a static IP and voila, I can login via ssh and get a cryptroot-unlock prompt; all the while, the monitor output is still frozen at "loading initial ramdisk" without a prompt or anything.
I've read somewhere else on the forum that disabling x2APIC in UEFI BIOS might work, going to try that next because the frozen screen is freaking me out ;)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!