Fail at boot on a clear Proxmox 5.1.3 installation

Dec 5, 2017
Spain
Hi,

I tried to install the latest 5.1 Proxmox ISO many times, but has some issues with boot. On the installer, I chose ZFS (RAID 1) option. On first boot, it stopped on the initram without any zfs volume mounted. I had to mount manually with 'zpool import -N rpool' after 'exit'.

At this moment, the boot process continues bat stop with 'A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes ...'. I uploaded a screenshot to show.

I tried to look for this problem everywhere, but can't find any help. Could you help me please?

Regards,

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2018-01-19 a las 4.46.05.png
    Captura de pantalla 2018-01-19 a las 4.46.05.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 26
I know it sounds funny, but turn on both legacy and uEFI boot options in your BIOS. Proxmox will boot via the legacy partition, but the devices will be enumerated correctly. (the copy of /etc/zfs/zpool.cache in /boot/initrd.img* isn't using /dev/disk/by-id/* so it can't find the pool as the devices have been renamed from the cdrom boot instance where the pool was made)

I had UEFI enabled in the BIOS during the installation, but I can't understand this.

I had solve the problem with the zfs volume at boot with this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/failed-to-import-pool-rpool.29942/

But the problem with "A start job is running for Activation of LVM2 logical volumes ..." persists. The system can't start, because LVM2 volumes activation never ends. Is there any way to disable LVM2 at boot?

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2017-12-26 a las 23.59.51.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-12-26 a las 23.59.51.png
    320.7 KB · Views: 7
try installing using the 5.0 iso and then upgrade to the most recent package versions. there was a kernel bug in most of 4.13 which affected certain SCSI controllers..

Thanks a lot fabian! You solved my problem in a couple of servers.

it's enough with the no-suscription to update the most recent packages?

Best regards,

yes

Same thing happened to me on a Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F, just FYI. 5.0 ISO worked fine, though updating didn’t update versino number (not sure if that’s expected thought).

Cheers.

Same thing happened to me on a Supermicro X9DR7-LN4F, just FYI. 5.0 ISO worked fine, though updating didn’t update versino number (not sure if that’s expected thought).

Cheers.

you might want to check your package repositories and the apt output.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!