External IP on VM

O

onastvar

Hello,

I haven't found anything about setting up external IP on a virtual host. I have comcast business service, they provide 5 static IPs.

How do I setup external IP on a VM?

My PROXMOX internal IP is 192.168.1.100 and that works fine.

I want to use this one debian VM with ISPCONFIG3 but I need external IP setup so this VM can be accessed from outside.

Thanks.
:confused:

Reactions: neeraj26jan
Hello,

I haven't found anything about setting up external IP on a virtual host. I have comcast business service, they provide 5 static IPs.

How do I setup external IP on a VM?

My PROXMOX internal IP is 192.168.1.100 and that works fine.

I want to use this one debian VM with ISPCONFIG3 but I need external IP setup so this VM can be accessed from outside.

Thanks.
:confused:
Hi,
it's depends on your network config. How do you reach the ip-range of your external IPs?
The easy way is, if you have a single interface for that network (like eth1). Then you can install a new bridge (vmbr1, or what you like) with the eth1-nic connected to this bridge. The host don't need a ip on this bridge.
Then select the new bridge for the nic of the VM - and you are accesible from outside.
If you get all over one nic (without vlan-tagging) ask your provider, or look for the example in this forum for hetzner (i think they do also such things).

Udo

Thanks Udo, I searched thru forum some more, I was able to setup public IP for PROXMOX and one of the VMs. Thanks. Here's what I did, it worked.

PROXMOX
/etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address  0.0.0.0
        netmask  0.0.0.0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 75.111.111.10
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 75.111.111.15
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

VM101
/etc/network/interfaces

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 75.111.111.11
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 75.111.111.0
        broadcast 75.111.111.255
        gateway 75.111.111.15

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!