[SOLVED] External Backup - after unplug SAS --> Error in PBS

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
Hello all,

tested here PBS as external Backup. It is a good solution for big external backups on an single disk. Here for example about 7TB, because on second backup, only changes were transferred. So good, after the backup was ready i would like to unplug the SAS Disk from storage. What have i don?

• Stop the services: proxmox-backup-proxy.service proxmox-backup.service
  • export the zfs pool
  • unplug the disk
  • Start the services: proxmox-backup-proxy.service proxmox-backup.service
After that the PBS Webinterface show me that error attached.

So how i handle this right? Backup Server 0.8-16

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200918_075726.jpg
    Screenshot_20200918_075726.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hi,

I don't understand what you have done with the disk transfer?

If you removed the disk where PBS stores the backups this behavior would be normal.

To stop pbs you have also stop the service proxmox-backup. The proxy is just the webserver.

we've already discussed having some sort of flag on a datastore similar to 'is_mountpoint' in PVE, so that error messages in case of datastores not being mounted are understandable. not sure how 'fluent' we want to support the use case of 'sometimes available' datastores, although I can see why that might make sense (especially if we get around to writing an 'import backups from datastore A into datastore B', because then it would allow fast bootstrapping over sneakernet ;)):

- PVE with local PBS instance
- remote actual PBS instance
- GBit connection between - fast enough for regular incremental backups

1. mount external disk to PVE host
  2. initial backup to external disk
  3. unmount external disk
  4. physically move and mount external disk to PBS host
  5. move backups from external disk into main PBS datastore
  6. unmount external disk

Reactions: fireon and Dark26
This is only for my external backup. One disk @office, one disk@home. In the case of an full crash, you have all VM's on an external drive. The same we do with all customsers without ZFS. And they have there own data's in the there own hands.

So this time i test here some szenario with the new PBS. And technical it work perfectly. Because only the changes are transferred.

So with a flag you can say PBS that this store XXX is an external store, and this store is not always available, make sense.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!