External access to each VMs

Exor

Jun 13, 2020
Hello, I have looked around for external access to each VMs using VNC. I played around with handful of guides but still unable to get it to work.

I think the difference is that most of people asking about business/enterprise related network. I am using Proxmox in my home network just a standard network topology. Modem > Router > Switch > Clients including the computer running Proxmox.

I have the following set up:
Router is 192.168.1.1
Netmask is 255.255.255.0

I have Proxmox set to 192.168.1.90 as static IP.

Here is the configuration I have in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.90
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge_ports eno1
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

iface enp3s0f1 inet manual

Any idea how can I get VMs accessible to external for VNC?

I am a bit confused. Are the VMs I created in Proxmox get DHCP from my router or is the DHCP done by Proxmox?

How does one port forward VNC for VMs?

I'm not sure I understand your question.
When you say external, do you mean from the internet? Of from your LAN?
From your LAN, you'd just login to the Proxmox GUI and from there choose one of the console options, including VNC, which is why I'm confused by your question.

The VM's get DHCP from your router if you tell the OS in the VM to use DHCP.

But you can equally configure them to use a static IP. Or you can configure your router to always allocate a specific IP when it sees a particular MAC address (as allocated to the VM).

If you want external access from the internet, you could possibly do port forwarding on the router to Proxmox port 8006. I don't think any other ports are needed.

If you want different people to access different VMs (i.e. User-X can only get to VM-Y) then you can do this by creating users and groups with specific permissions in Proxmox itself.

Alternatively, if you want, you can install some kind of remote access system within the VM itself.If it has a static or predictable private IP, you'd then port forward in your router to the appropriate ports.

Again, I'm confused, so sorry if none of this makes sense.

If you want different people to access different VMs (i.e. User-X can only get to VM-Y) then you can do this by creating users and groups with specific permissions in Proxmox itself.
Alternatively, if you want, you can install some kind of remote access system within the VM itself.If it has a static or predictable private IP, you'd then port forward in your router to the appropriate ports.
I am sorry for confusion. These two are the ones I am looking for.

I am able to access to Proxmox using 192.168.1.90:8006 with no issue within LAN. What I have tried is adding its IP address and port to router's port forwarding list and enabled it. I am still unable to access to it from internet using its WAN IP with 8006 as port. I have Ombi on the same port forwarding list as well and it worked in LAN and internet as well, it is located in another computer though. So it made me think there must be something to be done within Proxmox to get this to work?

Its possible that the Proxmox firewall is preventing access from IPs not on the local network. Maybe check that?
But otherwise I can't think of anything other than the router not correctly port forwarding for some reason.

Its possible that the Proxmox firewall is preventing access from IPs not on the local network. Maybe check that?
But otherwise I can't think of anything other than the router not correctly port forwarding for some reason.
I clicked "Datacenter" > "Firewall" > "Options" and I see "Firewall = No".

Does that mean whole node has firewall turned off?

No response since Saturday. I wonder if someone from Proxmox team can help me here? I am pretty much stuck here.

I think I am missing something that needs to be done in Proxmox to get it to work.

No response since Saturday.

This is just not true, you got an answer the same day. This is the community forum.

If you need guaranteed answering times from the Proxmox Support team, go for a support subscription.

Reactions: mrg
This is just not true, you got an answer the same day. This is the community forum.

If you need guaranteed answering times from the Proxmox Support team, go for a support subscription.
I am trying to say no response from someone from Proxmox team. And I appreciated that Faris is trying to help but my issue is still not solved.

My server set up is just personal use because I am still learning how to use Proxmox.

I assumed normally when you install Proxmox and set up VMs, they should work with port forward but in my case I have one VM set up and still unable to get it accessible from internet. If there is a documentation about specifically setting this up, could someone just point me to the documentation or to the right direction?

Hello Exor. I was curious if you get got this working. I too just setup a home proxmox server and it's running fine, completely accessible from my internal lan. However, I have opened up port 8006 to the outside world, but still can't connect to the admin console, nor ssh to a linux container I have created. I checked the firewall and it's not on, so I'm wondering where I have failed. Thanks for your time, or anyone for that matter.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!