extend pve-data

silbro

Aug 30, 2014
Hi all

I want to extend the logical volume data that is default when installing proxmox with another disk. I did this:

1) pvcreate /dev/sdb1
2) vgextend pve /dev/sdb1
3) lvextend /dev/pve/data /dev/sdb1

Is this correct or did I miss something?

When I check the size in the GUI it shows that it is extended also when I do lvdisplay it shows the correct size. But I read here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-v5-extend-pve-data.37571/ that I need to extend the metadatasize. What does this mean? I don't understand it :(

Can someone tell me if I did it right or what I need to do in order for it to be complete :)

Do I have to do this? (how do I know how much GB I have to add to the poolmetadata?):
lvresize --poolmetadatasize +1G pve/data

Thanks!
-silbro

Last edited:
You should not extend LVM over two disks.
This is the same as a Raid0 with the speed of a single disk.
Make a new standalone LVM and move the disk if necessary.

Hi Wolfgang

Thank you for your answer. I agree with you, but in this case it's a RAID 1. So the system is installed on a RAID1 and the expansion was a RAID1. So basically it is used as a RAID10 in this case.

I'm guessing that this way it isn't really a problem.

What about the listed steps, is that the correct way to go? How can I know how much I need to add to the metadatasize?

Thanks!
-silbro

In this case, not a problem but the write speed is as you have one disk.

You have to tell me if you use just LVM or Thin-LVM?

It is Thin-LVM. The standard one that is created when you install proxmox.

Unfortunately I lose write/read speed this way... But luckily these VMs are just used for calculation mainly and barely any writing, so I can live with that.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, even after reading the wiki entry, I don't understand how much GB I need to update the metadata pool with and if my above listed command is correct. I see a formula:

PoolSize/ChunkSize * 64b = MetadataPoolSize

But is this for newly created LVMs or do I need to do this? This would be the output:

Code:
lvs -a -o name,size,chunk_size
  LV              LSize   Chunk
  data              2.59t 64.00k
  [data_tdata]      2.59t     0
  [data_tdata]      2.59t     0
  [data_tmeta]      9.11g     0
  [data_tmeta]      9.11g     0
  [lvol0_pmspare]   8.11g     0
  root             96.00g     0
  swap              8.00g     0

Maybe someone can explain me how to resize the metadata pool size correctly with an example? That would be great! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!