stoeger

Oct 14, 2024
Hi there,

After moving my proxmox server from my parents to my flat I have this new error that stops the server from booting. The boot drive is a nvme ssd. When booting in recovery mode, i can log into the system and do stuff. I tried a rw-test as well as nvme-cli and smartcl with everything working and not displaying errors. Looking at the journalctl -xb, i can see no errors pop up which correlate to storage disks. When trying to disable the gpu passtrough, I could not update the initramfs due to some rw-errors but I thought, that this is because the system is in recovery mode. I can not boot in default mode, because then the error shows up.

Does anybody know, how I or if this is fixable, since i forgot to create a backup from my containers/vms :,(

Attachments

• proxmox_boot.jpg
    proxmox_boot.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 12
Welcome to the Proxmox forum, stoeger!

Have you already found a solution to your problem? If not, have you also run a long test with smartctl to verify that there is nothing wrong with the drive? You could also boot a Live ISO (e.g. Debian/Ubuntu) and run e2fsck -fccky <device> there, to preserve the previous badblocks table and check if there were new bad blocks detected and run fsck on it, if no major errors were detected.

I would create a backup of the drive in any case, especially if there is any indication that the drive is failing. The filesystem should be still mountable on a Live ISO and from there you should be able to create a backup of the drive.

No, sadly not. I booted in recovery mode and remounted the fs in rw. After that I ran a short self test using the nvme-cli tool and the drive passed the test. When trying to create a backup using vzdump to a usb on the proxmox host (in recovery mode with fs remounted as rw), I get Error: Backup of VM <ID> failed - no such logical volume /pve/data followed by the same errors EXT4-fs warning and Buffer I/O error on device dm-1 as previously. I had to manually start the pvedaemon and pve-cluster.

After trying to create a backup I can no longer send commands in the terminal. For example shutdown returns bash: /usr/bin/bash: Input/output error.

I will try to install ubuntu on a usb and boot from it to check the boot drive with e2fsck -fccky <device>.

I doubt that it will have to do anything with this error, since the host is currently not connected to the network, but i had to change the IP-Address in /etc/network/interfaces as well as modify the /etc/hosts file to get it connected to the LAN.

Last edited:
So I tested the drive using the method described here:

Got "input output error" when execute any commands

When running time -p dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null bs=4M where sda is the boot drive (in my case nvme0n1), the command finishes without a error indicating that the problem is the filesystem and not the drive itself (could be due to not shutting down the system properly before moving).

I made a backup of the nvme0n1 drive using dd if=/dev/nvme0n1 of=/mnt/usb/proxmox-backup.img bs=64k conv=noerror,sync. The usb drive is mounted to /mnt/usb just for clarification.

I tried adding fsck.mode=force to grub using:

How to automatically force fsck disks after crash in `systemd`?

But this does not fix anything and if i boot in default, the I/O error comes back.

I will try the route with booting from a usb and running e2fsck from there. If this also fails i think the only solution would be to reinstall proxmox with the downside of loosing the configs (I could get the from the dd backup, but I have never worked with this before)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!