Export VMs from Proxmox

Bilal

Jul 20, 2019
Please need help , i have set Proxmox-Ceph HCI cluster and my VMs are saved on CEPH Storage Pool.

I want to export VM from my Proxmox how can i do that ?
I could not find path that where my VM Images are saved ? No file in /var/lib/vz/images
Exported VM image will be in which format ? either QCOW or OVA

Please help me

I want to export VM from my Proxmox how can i do that ?

Just for backup purpose or do you want to move to another platform?

Dear Tom,

First - I want to move my VMs from Proxmox Test Cluster to Proxmox Production Cluster
Second- I want to keep backups of my VM.

First - I want to move my VMs from Proxmox Test Cluster to Proxmox Production Cluster
Then use the built in backup & restore facility.

Second- I want to keep backups of my VM.

Also, use the built in backup & restore facility.

PVE backup is very good and works out of the box. If you want to have the "raw" VM harddisk, you can manually unpack the VMA files that will be created on a backup (via vzdump), but normally you do not need this.

Bundle of thanks , Just 1 last things actually i want to know that by default VMs store in which directory and VMs file is in which format .qcow/vmdk

I am finding it but do not found any file /var/lib/vz/images

rbd ls vmspool

base-100-disk-0
vm-102-disk-0
vm-102-state-fresh
vm-103-disk-0
vm-104-disk-0
vm-104-state-test

Dear Tom i can list these disks of my VMs by the above command . But please help where these disks are located . I have searched with find command but nit found.

rbd ls vmspool

base-100-disk-0
vm-102-disk-0
vm-102-state-fresh
vm-103-disk-0
vm-104-disk-0
vm-104-state-test

Dear Tom i can list these disks of my VMs by the above command . But please help where these disks are located . I have searched with find command but nit found.
/dev/pve/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!