Exclude backup directory

markc

Sep 12, 2020
Gold Coast, Australia
spiderweb.com.au
I have two similar PBS LXC containers on different PVE hosts, and they both use a mountpoint from a local zpool on a separate disk(s). One of them does the right thing and avoids including the configured backup directory for itself when backed up to its own PBS instance. They both have the same /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg, but the one I just set up now INCLUDES the /backups directory in its own backup, even though I have unselected the Backup option when adding the mountpoint.

Code:
datastore: Backup
        comment
        gc-schedule daily
        notification-mode notification-system
        path /backups

This one does NOT include the /backups directory in its own backup...

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 4
features: nesting=1
hostname: pbs3
memory: 256
mp0: spool:subvol-104-disk-0,mp=/backups,replicate=0,size=1T
nameserver: 192.168.xx.xx 192.168.xx.xx
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=192.168.xx.1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:FD:6A:3C,ip=192.168.xx.xx/24,type=veth
net1: name=eth1,bridge=vmbr1,firewall=1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:B8:49:7C,ip=192.168.xx.xx/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-104-disk-0,size=4G
searchdomain: xxxxxxxxx
swap: 512
tags: PBS
unprivileged: 1

This new one DOES INCLUDE the /backups directory in its own backup...

Code:
arch: amd64
cores: 4
features: nesting=1
hostname: pbs5
memory: 512
mp0: ttpool:subvol-100-disk-0,mp=/backups,mountoptions=lazytime,replicate=0,size=1700G
nameserver: 192.168.xx.xx 192.168.xx.xx
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=192.168.xx.1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:F8:25:54,ip=192.168.xx.xx/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-100-disk-0,size=4G,mountoptions=lazytime
searchdomain: xxxxxxxx
swap: 512
tags: PBS
unprivileged: 1

Can anyone see why the 2nd one above would include the /backups directory in its own backup compared to the first one that works as I expect and does not backup the /backups directory?

The only slight difference between the two is that first correctly working one is on a host in a cluster. The 2nd one above is on a host that is not yet part of that cluster.

Last edited:
I can't mark this is as a solution because I have no idea why the installation was copying the "backups" folder when I specifically excluded "Backup" from the CT mountpoint. However, I wiped the disk and started again, and now the "backups" folder is not included in the actual backup of this container. Problem solved, but I do not know why I had the problem in the first place.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!