EVPN SDN Multi-tenancy: Something similar to Inter-AS Option A?

chayter

Mar 13, 2024
Greetings all,

I am planning a sizable Proxmox EVN SDN deployment in my lab and I have a question regarding its implementation, particularly around multi-tenancy.

Some background about my lab before I get started:
  • Existing Cisco EVPN/VXLAN+BGP Fabric
  • OPNSense firewalls are used for Inter-tenant traffic filtering. These peer with the fabric border leaf's via BGP. (Realistically these can be any firewall that supports BGP, but the key is they are bare metal.)
  • Intra-tenant firewalling is done within Proxmox firewalls and traditional VLAN's.
What I would like to do is move from VLAN's to Proxmox EVPN and peer Proxmox Nodes with fabric while maintaining multi-tenancy up the the existing fabric edge.

The idea I had was doing something similar to Inter-AS Option A where each EVPN Tenant on Proxmox peers with its respective VRF via BGP on the leafs. This would keep the configuration domains between Proxmox and the existing network separate. I looked into using the BGP Controller for this, but it looks like it only supports one peering for the entire SDN deployment. Would it be possible with some modification of the FRR config to support per-vrf peering? I would imagine this would require me to configure sub interfaces on the hypervisors for each L3VNI? The idea would be to inject VM host-routes into the fabric to support VM mobility, allowing for a completely routed topology.

Code:
[Proxmox SDN - Blue EVPN Tenant] ---> EBGP ---> [Blue VRF L3VNI] ---> EBGP ---> Inter-Tenant Firewall
[Proxmox SDN - Red EVPN Tenant]  ---> EBGP ---> [Red VRF L3VNI]  ---> EBGP ---> Inter-Tenant Firewall
[Proxmox Management Interface]   ---> [Management VRF L3VNI]     ---> Management / NOC Firewalls

As I understand it, we can modify the /etc/frr/frr.conf.local however I am concerned with stability during updates / upgrades.

Am I on the right track here and is this a feature that may be considered in the future? Id be happy to contribute to testing and or documentation if I can get this working.

Thank you for bringing EVPN to Proxmox!

Chris

in the proxmox evpn sdn, each zone is a different vrf.
evpn peering need to be done in the default vrf.
extra bgp peering could be done in vrf, but it's not currently implemented. (we do it in default vrf, and leak routes from tenants evpn vrf).

about /etc/frr/frr.conf, you can create this file , and only add your new needed lines, it'll be parsed and merge with the generated frr.

for example, something like this should be enough:

Code:
bgp router .... vrf vrf_zone1
    neighbor x.x.x.x ...
    address-family l2vpn evpn
       advertise ipv4 unicast
    exit-address-family

Note that you need in proxmox host, an ip on a interface in this vrf, to be able to peer from the vrf

/etc/network/interfaces

Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
     address ...
     vrf vrf_zone1

(I don't known if you don't want a dedicated phyiscal interface by vrf, if you could use a loopback or dummy interface, maybe vlan interface,...)

Last edited:
Hey Spirit,

That is what I was looking for! Essentially the same as current implementation, but without leaking to to the default VRF when exporting routes via BGP (on exit nodes). This maintains the multi-tenancy into the existing fabric.

An IP on a VLAN per VRF should be sufficient, though a lookback on each VRF gives me some ideas. I would need static routes on the Leaf's though to inject reachability within the fabric.

Going to spin this up in GNS3 later today and give it a test.

Do I still need to set up exit nodes for this to work, or should I avoid doing that? I assume that sets up the route leaking configurations, which I am looking to avoid?

Thanks again,

Chris

Last edited:
Hey Spirit,

That is what I was looking for! Essentially the same as current implementation, but without leaking to to the default VRF when exporting routes via BGP (on exit nodes). This maintains the multi-tenancy into the existing fabric.

An IP on a VLAN per VRF should be sufficient, though a lookback on each VRF gives me some ideas. I would need static routes on the Leaf's though to inject reachability within the fabric.

Going to spin this up in GNS3 later today and give it a test.

Do I still need to set up exit nodes for this to work, or should I avoid doing that? I assume that sets up the route leaking configurations, which I am looking to avoid?

Thanks again,

Chris
The exit-node is only a node announcing default 0.0.0.0 evpn type-5 route. (so every node is forwding outside traffic to exit-node in evpn, and the exit-node is routing again between evpn network and default vrf through classic bgp)

if you peers all nodes nodes directly in bgp from their vrf (announcing each vm /32 ip), you don't need an exit node.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!