esxi ubuntu migration VM wont boot

rbnxt18

Feb 12, 2022
Hello Community, i am struggling with a fairly "easy" task which is described pretty often but unfortunately does not seem to work with my setup

I am having a Standalone esxi host running a linux ubuntu VM, i would like to migrate the VM to my proxmox Server.
I am able to export the ovf & vmdk file either via rightklick -> export and download the two files or use ovftools to save both in an ova file.
As the next step i copied both files to the /home/ share on the proxmox server and tried importing the ovf & vmdk to a new vm which gets created successfully

i am using scsi controller and running into the issue that after an initial "ubuntu" screen the screen goes black and only a small cursor is blinking on the top left of the screen.
It seems like a grub/bootloader issue.

Do you guys have any idea?
This is my current Hardware Setup

1644672720966.png

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!