Error Setup DRBD9 in Proxmox VE 4.1

juananpc

Feb 27, 2016
Hi,

I'm trying to follow this Wiki https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9 but when I get to the point of adding nodes 2 and 3 I get an error that says "Error: Operation not allowed on satellite node". Up to that point everything has gone well.

I tried several times and only once got to add the third node luckily, but the second gave the error.

What happen?

Thanks.

I've no idea, just a guess:
a) are you sure you ssh as root from EACH server into ALL THE OTHER servers? (i.e. from node1 ssh into node 2 and 3, from node2 into node 1 and 3, from node3 into node 1 and 2)
b) are you sure you have issued the command "drbdmanage add-node" ONLY AND ALWAYS from node1?

Hi mmenaz,

As says the wiki, I perform these steps...

a) connect as root by ssh from each node to other nodes and I accept the fingerprint for each.
b) all commands, drbmanage init and add-node, I run on node1.

Hey,

I had the same issue.
I fixed it with following instructions: (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox4-dealing-with-node-failure-and-drbd9.25528/)

I think main steps (on all nodes except primary?):
  • apt-get remove drbdmanage
  • apt-get autoremove
  • apt-get install drbdmanage
  • apt-get install python-dbus-doc python-dbus-dbg
  • drbdmanage remove-node pve2 10.10.10.10 (with all nodes)
  • drbdmanage uninit (on primary node)
After that repeat the steps in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9.

For me it works fine now!

regards
alex

Thanks for the replys but at the end trying and trying... I managed to add all nodes correctly, rebooting each node after preparing the disks and install drbdmanage.

Hello again,

I got to add all nodes as I said before, but now I get all the time "drbd .drbdctrl: State change failed peer may not become primary while device is opened read-only" on each node.

49723e9e76.png

For what is this?

Thanks!

No idea, but please put the output of pveversion -v. If you are not using the latest packages (as it seems from your previous posts/video), troubleshooting is almost impossible, and insist in doing setups with outdated/bugged packages is not a good way to go either.
Before doing anything, just after having setup the proper repositories, you should have done an apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade on all 3 nodes and reboot.

No idea, but please put the output of pveversion -v. If you are not using the latest packages (as it seems from your previous posts/video), troubleshooting is almost impossible, and insist in doing setups with outdated/bugged packages is not a good way to go either.
Before doing anything, just after having setup the proper repositories, you should have done an apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade on all 3 nodes and reboot.

After reading your answer by saying that I should perform an update, what I did on each node.

1. I did a clean install.
2. I added the repository (no-subscription).
3. I did the dist-upgrade.
4. I did the steps of the wiki for drbd9.

After add the 3 nodes to drbd, began to show that error and some more on the screen. When I perform some action such as creating a virtual machine from the GUI.

For example, this happened while cloned a vm.
96dbd2844f.png

Here the output off pveversion -v:
94bce71e49.png

Thanks!

Last edited:
You'd better past the text between code tags instead of upload images.
I'm not a drbd9 expert, I've the feeling that you have big problems in storage communication (ping fails).
You should also dig the drbd status with the dedicate commands.
# drbdsetup status
# drbdmanage list-resources
have a look at drbd related messages in /var/log/messages or errors related to your network interfaces

Hey,

I had the same issue.
I fixed it with following instructions: (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox4-dealing-with-node-failure-and-drbd9.25528/)

I think main steps (on all nodes except primary?):
  • apt-get remove drbdmanage
  • apt-get autoremove
  • apt-get install drbdmanage
  • apt-get install python-dbus-doc python-dbus-dbg
  • drbdmanage remove-node pve2 10.10.10.10 (with all nodes)
  • drbdmanage uninit (on primary node)
After that repeat the steps in https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/DRBD9.

For me it works fine now!

regards
alex
hi hi have a great problem with drbd9

I have 3 knots on a Proxmox Virtual Environment ( Proxmox 3.4 ) I'm testing the drbd9 and I have the following situations :
nodes are connected , all diski are uptodate but when I create a VM on a node can not find the raw image on the other .
Any suggestions?

HI .... this is my situation.. but i can't share the raw images.... any suggest?

Attachments

• 10634097_10208419436712823_8074613517505265376_o.jpg
    10634097_10208419436712823_8074613517505265376_o.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 12487172_10208419437032831_426973582702786700_o.jpg
    12487172_10208419437032831_426973582702786700_o.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 14

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!