Error on restore

albebert

Aug 16, 2020
Hi,

my PBS is hosted on lxc on local proxmox instance.

All is working on site (backup/restore)

but on remote site trought vpn, backup is ok but restore fail :

Error: Operation not supported (os error 95)
TASK ERROR: unable to restore CT 103 - command '/usr/bin/proxmox-backup-client restore '--crypt-mode=none' ct/103/2020-08-16T21:53:55Z pct.conf - --repository backup@pbs@192.168.200.9:DS01-HT' failed: exit code 255

any idea ?

Hi

on both local and remote proxmox : client version: 0.8.9

local Backup Server 0.8-9 BETA

storage is CIFS

backup / restore on local proxmox work great (so CIFS is not a problem, it's not the best choice i know, it's just for testing)

i've ALL TCP/UDP rules en my firewalls in both directions

Hi

on both local and remote proxmox : client version: 0.8.9

local Backup Server 0.8-9 BETA

storage is CIFS

backup / restore on local proxmox work great (so CIFS is not a problem, it's not the best choice i know, it's just for testing)

i've ALL TCP/UDP rules en my firewalls in both directions

pve backups and pbs work different.

pbs does not support cifs.

pve backups and pbs work different.

pbs does not support cifs.

yes i know, i've tunned cifs mount in oder to work. When i said that it's work with local proxmox it means works trought pbs.

the only difference is that the remote proxmox have to transit in 2 firewall connect with a ipsec tunnel (fortigate local, sophos utm remote) both have firewall rules with ALL TCP/UDP between remote proxmox and local pbs

after lot of time, i'm trying new things :

PBS installed on local (just for test) on the problematic pve server, so no firewall or vpn, and same thing :(

so i mounted this PBS on my working PVE instance (so with vpn and firewalls) and all is working.

So we have a problem on this particular host.

i made a strace of restore command : https://pastebin.com/zpbxkjvF

if anyone have an idea..

Code:
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/tmp", O_RDWR|O_CLOEXEC|O_TMPFILE, 0666) = -1 EOPNOTSUPP (Operation not supported)

what is mounted on /tmp?

root@Proxmox-VE /var/log # df -h /tmp
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg0-tmp 5.0G 33M 5.0G 1% /tmp

and what file system is in use there? I think the expectation that is is possible to create a temporary file on /tmp is a valid one ;)

/dev/vg0/tmp /tmp reiserfs defaults 0 0

don't know why i use reiserfs here ! (i think that is the default FS used by hetzner proxmox installation, a good idea because reiserfs is good for FS with lot of small files, and /tmp is generaly with plently of small files, but in my case i've only somes files from systemd ) but in this case seems to be a problem

unmount the tmp, test and voila ! it's working !

going to format in ext4 and give it a try

Last edited:
usually on modern distros /tmp is a (RAM-backed) tmpfs and not persistent at all...

yes, an hold habitude to do this :)

with ext4 all is working with "local" PBS.

Need to try with remote PBS (but think it work too)

thanks a lot for you help

edit : all is working with remote PBS ! good

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!