Error launching Proxmox install

ezh

Nov 5, 2014
Hi

Having trouble to start Proxmox install, booting USB flash: "could not insert 'i7300-idle':no such device"

What's wrong?

Tnx.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 34
Yes, that's normal. Current media is not working with USB flash. Please use a DVD (even external one). I personally prefer a Zalman CD/DVD emulator.

Root cause:
Installer is looking for a CD drive. It there is none, it will not work.

This is weird... It is 2016. Where do I borrow an external DVD-ROM nowadays? :-/

Will it be fixed in next versions?

I don't know. I have a zalman for that purpose. ISO images are the industry standard and are in use for everything. I never installed a server with an usb stick - always ISO file.

Yes, that's normal. Current media is not working with USB flash. Please use a DVD (even external one). I personally prefer a Zalman CD/DVD emulator.

Root cause:
Installer is looking for a CD drive. It there is none, it will not work.

creating a bootable USB stick works always for me.

Which tool do you use for creating this Stick?

Some USB-Stick creating tools make there own startup staff and they are not compatible with our iso.
AFIK there where never such a problem if you use dd or a Windows tool what does the same.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!