[SOLVED] Error kernel upgrade: dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which does not

cmonty14

Mar 4, 2014
Hello!

I have started apt upgrade and this includes kernel upgrade to pve-kernel-4.10.17-3-pve (4.10.17-21).
However, there's an error when implementing this new kernel:
pve-kernel-4.10.17-3-pve (4.10.17-21) wird eingerichtet ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.10.17-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 4.10.17-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-3-pve
Error! The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
does not match this kernel/arch. This indicates that it should not be built.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.10.17-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-3-pve
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.10.17-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/unattended-upgrades 4.10.17-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-3-pve
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 4.10.17-3-pve /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.17-3-pve

Checking the content of dkms.conf shows that it is empty:
root@pc4-svp:/home# cat /etc/modprobe.d/dkms.conf
# modprobe information used for DKMS modules
#
# This is a stub file, should be edited when needed,
# used by default by DKMS.
root@pc4-svp:/home#

How can I fix this error?

THX

"dkms status" will probably tell you which module failed to build, but this is not related to PVE ;)

root@pc4-svp:/etc/pve/nodes/pc4-svp# dkms status
aufs, 4.9+20161219, 4.9.0-3-amd64, x86_64: installed

I can't see why this error is called.

you have the package aufs-dkms installed, which is only compatible with a 4.9 kernel.

Your root cause analysis is correct.
I just don't understand why package aufs-dkms is not uninstalled when installing newer kernel.

Your root cause analysis is correct.
I just don't understand why package aufs-dkms is not uninstalled when installing newer kernel.

why would it? our pve-kernel packages and aufs-dkms have no dependency relation.. you could argue that aufs-dkms should have a stronger dependency on a specific kernel version if it only builds on that, but you'd have to take that up with its Debian maintainers ;)

I just wanted to add that I had the exact same problem right now with Debian Buster so it seems nothing has changed :)

As I am not aware of having a need for aufs-dkms I have uninstalled it.

I just had this exact same issue come up while updating to 6.2.16-5 from 6.2.16-4 (this machine had previously been upgraded from kernel 4, but has seen several updates since then).

No idea why it only showed now, but sudo apt remove aufs-dkms completely fixed it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!