ERROR: can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout

xigloo

May 25, 2021
good morning guys, since 3 days i've a strange problem...
In my proxmox VE, i've 2 storage configured ( NAS Synology ) and proxmox performs 3 vm snapshot on them, at same time (at 00:15, first on one of them, the other wait and than starts when the first had finished ).
All was right but, since 3 days one of these instance don't work, and this is the error :

INFO: trying to get global lock - waiting...
ERROR: can't acquire lock '/var/run/vzdump.lock' - got timeout

so, backup snapshot works on one NAS only, any idea ?

I also seem to notice that for 3 days the time taken for the snapshot has progressively increased (for months it has always been about 2 hours and 30 minutes, while now, from 15 June it has progressively increased: 3 hours and 10 minutes, then 3 hours and 40 minutes, then 4 hours and 8 minutes)

has anyone ever had a similar problem?
thanks guys for your attention

Last edited:
the default timeout is 3 hours, sounds like you just got over it? did the backup size increase correspondingly as well? you can increase the lock timeout ('lockwait' in /etc/vzdump.conf), but I'd first try to find out why it takes longer..

the default timeout is 3 hours, sounds like you just got over it? did the backup size increase correspondingly as well? you can increase the lock timeout ('lockwait' in /etc/vzdump.conf), but I'd first try to find out why it takes longer..
thank you very much Fabian, your advice is precious, now I try to follow these directions to see if I solve

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!