ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed

Rektural

Nov 29, 2021
Greetings Everyone,

I added two backup locations as CIFS. One of them is working with domain user on windows server and I'm able to take backup to this place. But I'm not able to take backups to samba share with a local account and I'm getting below error. Can anyone help me about this sitiuaton.

ERROR: Backup of VM 201 failed - unable to open '/mnt/pve/Backup-41/dump/vzdump-qemu-201-2021_11_29-12_10_53.tmp/qemu-server.conf' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/QemuServer.pm line 205

Are the permissions set up correctly?
Try by creating a file and directory in /mnt/pve/Backup-41 manually on the CLI.

Thanks for your quick answer. I already did it. I went to the directory from console and I'am able to create files in that location with mkdir etc with root account. And I tried to make a file with local account via windows and I created a file from that too.

Hmm, have you also tried to create a directory and adding a file there? In the "dump" directory? Testing it as close as possible to what the backup job is trying to achieve.

Sorry for the late reply. And that did work?

Is there enough free space available?

I am slowly running out of ideas what could be the cause ;)

Hi.

I just observed that the backup fails if I'm using Writeback (unsafe) iothread=1 as an option of the disk; normal writeback works.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hi.

I just observed that the backup fails if I'm using Writeback (unsafe) iothread=1 as an option of the disk; normal writeback works.
what kind of error message do you get? If you are using pve-qemu-kvm=6.2.0-9, you most likely are running into this issue and upgrading is the way to go (a VM needs to be stopped+started or migrated to a different host to pick up the new QEMU version).

I am using pve-manager/7.2-4/ca9d43cc
Virtual Environment 7.2-4 (Community Edition) and the VM in question is a Linux/ Ubuntu impish with the guest agent from the ubuntu install/ latest available kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!