Error : 4 data errors, use '-v' for a list

nekodesew

Oct 17, 2021
I'm not sure how to use the '-v' command. I'm using fairly new drives, I got them around July - August 2021.

I'm not sure how I'm getting errors if it passed the SMART test.
smart.png

Here is the error.
error.png

Hi,
I'm not sure how to use the '-v' command. I'm using fairly new drives, I got them around July - August 2021.
that needs to be done in the CLI, with zpool status -v.

I'm not sure how I'm getting errors if it passed the SMART test.
SMART works on the disk level, ZFS is one level above that. Either it could be a disk issue SMART missed or an issue within ZFS.

root@pve:~# zpool status -v pool: Dinodata4TB state: ONLINE status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected. action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the entire pool from backup. see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-8A config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM Dinodata4TB ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY93PQL ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY939DZ ONLINE 0 0 0 errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files: <0x506>:<0x1> <0x60c>:<0x1> <0x50d>:<0x1> Dinodata4TB/vm-104-disk-0:<0x1>

I tried to do zpool clear and zpool scrub, but that didn't help. Is my only option to fix this issue is by wiping everything I have and redoing everything?

You definitely should recreate Dinodata4TB/vm-104-disk-0, and I think the other errors should be gone after running a scrub.

sorry for reviving an old thread but the error came back. i rebuilt my server with the newest proxmox version. after building a few vms i have erros in a few sectors:
Code:
root@pve:~# zpool status -v
  pool: HDD1TB
 state: ONLINE
config:

NAME                                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        HDD1TB                                        ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                                    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-08RKKA0_WD-WCC1S6392143  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-WDC_WD10EZEX-08WN4A0_WD-WCC6Y6KEDSZ4  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

pool: HDD4TB
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 01:57:14 with 2 errors on Sun Dec 26 15:33:09 2021
config:

NAME                                 STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        HDD4TB                               ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0                           ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY93PQL  ONLINE       0     0     0
            ata-ST4000VN008-2DR166_ZGY939DZ  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

<0x383>:<0x1>
        <0x987>:<0x1>
        <0x2aa0>:<0x1>
        <0xac1>:<0x1>

do i really need to remake all my vms again?

Try starting zpool scrub and cancel it 2-3 times.
ex.
zpool scrub HDD4TB
zpool scrub -s
zpool scrub HDD4TB
zpool scrub -s
zpool scrub HDD4TB
zpool scrub -s

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!